Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

decoys?????

Old 10-30-2009, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Damon
Be advised....It depends on the time of year as to any decoy. Forstly, the Scarface is a rather large deer, meaning if your in search of an 8 point, you may not want to take the chance of ol scarry turning him out. Dominance prevails and there will likely be no challenge from less dominant bucks. During rut you may want to go with a doe or a antler removable buck, positioned with tail towards you, this will hae the bucks approach from the rear, giving you a shot.

I have done alot of reserch, and asked alot of questions; some on this forum, and the feedback comes back to the same answer, KILL.

good luck and happy hunting.
exactly right! thanks i have read that and thought the samething i even read about using it as a one horn. thought that might be a good way to go and will proably try it.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

not too jack the thread but I have a boss buck I believe and only hunted with it a few times so my question is how do you posistion the deer? I currently hunt on a fence line woods behind me on stand, 20 yds of alphelpha/oats straight out, and then a monster corn field beyon the alphalpha. (all standing) Do I put the decoy facing the corn? or left too rite parallel with the alphalpha/oats strip? or facing the woods? thanks IA
Old 10-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Spike

I always position mine 20 yds from my stand in a field. Every buck I have ever had approach it will circle it at a pretty good distance until it can approach the decoy directly from the front. So I position it so I am looking at it's profile. More bucks than I can count have come out and squared up with it face to face. Some have even smacked the decoy's face with it's andtlers then ran off once they heard the plastic noise. If you are using your decoy as a doe you may want to position it with it's tail facing you like someone else recommended on here but I've never done it. There has never been a deer that wouldn't appraoch from the front. Even the doe I shot last week. She was coming across the field directly behind my decoy. Once she saw it she stopped and stayed about 25-30 yds out until she circled around to approach from the front. I shot her about 15-20 feet from the face of my decoy.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Decoys work Great at times. I only pack mine for a couple of weeks and then only if I am hunting certain areas. IMHO a small doe will work as good as anything and a Huge Buck decoy is the worst, and I have used them all.

I've killed a couple of P&Y bucks on a decoy so Yes they do work!

Dan
Old 10-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

well my real estate agent called and we have a showing tommorow so right after work we had to clean up the house and so on soooo i wont have my decoy for my after work hunt tommorow but hopefuly i will have one next week. i dont regret it tho lol im not complainin as soon as the house sells we are movin. thanks all for the feedback i do appreciate it and am looking forward the excitement it will hopefully add to my hunts. oh and believe me if i have any kind of sucess with it you all will be on my list to tell thats for sure.