HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   bbd! *no its not big buck down.... its button buck down* (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/308291-bbd-no-its-not-big-buck-down-its-button-buck-down.html)

doublelung'em 10-29-2009 05:43 AM

bbd! *no its not big buck down.... its button buck down*

on monday night, i went out to my stand at about 345 pm. i saw nothing at all until about 6 pm, 7 does and one button buck come in the clover field i am set up in. the first deer that gives me a chance is going down. the button buck stops broadside at 35 yards, i send my "thunderhead tipped missile" flying at him, hit him right behind the shoulder, he ran about 40 yards and dropped. my second deer ever. and my 2nd with a bow. :cool2: after my dad and i finish skinning him, we realized we forgot to take pictures :hit: i did take a picture of my arrow and there is blood on it so theres some evidence that i shot a deer haha. next time i ll remember to take pictures, and something tells me that i will be getting another deer this season, and i hope i m right! good luck to you all! :groupwave:

Mathewsboy 10-29-2009 05:50 AM

congrats on your harvest, but I'm totally against shooting Button Bucks.. Why someone would want to harvest a 6 month old future BUCK is beyond me!

doublelung'em 10-29-2009 06:00 AM

thanks, and i just wanted to fill the freezer while i had the chance, now i think i might consider passing up on some deer. good luck =)

Mathewsboy 10-29-2009 06:07 AM

Good luck... SHoot Straight!

It took me MANY years to realize when you pass on the smaller bucks, the big one follows! You'd be surprized what you'll see when you DONT shoot the first Buck that walks in. Be Patient and good things will happen. Dont get me wrong, I'm not against a NEW hunter shooting smaller bucks, as I've shot my fair share. But No one ever told me if I waited and didnt shoot the small ones that a Bigger buck may very well show up.. I had to learn that on my OWN.. Especially, if you have Sign of a BIG BUCK! Just giving you a heads up.. QDM goes a long way. Gotta shoot the does too! Good luck in your Hunting Ventures and keep up the GOOD SHOOTING!

diamondrack 10-29-2009 06:11 AM

Congrats!! But a botton buck???

Western MA Hunter 10-29-2009 06:12 AM

congrats... if you are happy I am happy! :)
will taste great...

BOWHUNTER818 10-29-2009 06:14 AM

Congrats on the Deer buddy, and dont listen to them shoot what you want cause the trophy is in the eye of the beholder.!!

Congrats

-BH818

doublelung'em 10-29-2009 06:14 AM

mathewsboy-thanks, but im not really that new to hunting, i have been hunting for about... 5 years, i shot my first deer 3 years ago, and i have missed maybe 4-5 deer since then, so i was elated when i hit it, i didnt really care that it was a button buck, sure i would have liked a bigger deer. where i hunt, big racked bucks are not really common and i only have 7 acres to hunt.

doublelung'em 10-29-2009 06:15 AM

thanks everyone else, good luck!

Gundeck 10-29-2009 06:29 AM

QDM is great when you have control over a lot of land, but if you hunt small plots with lots of other people around you, you have no control over the growth of these little guys, so you may be passing it up just so the next guy down the field can take it. Congrats and be happy with your venison.