Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Local Archery Shop vs On-Line or Big Box >

Local Archery Shop vs On-Line or Big Box

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Local Archery Shop vs On-Line or Big Box

Old 10-29-2009, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default Local Archery Shop vs On-Line or Big Box

I try as best I can to support local businesses, especially the archery center near my house. I went there last night to get some broadheads for a friend of mine (I was busy telling him how much I like these new broadheads so he asked me to pick up a set) but my archery shop had them priced almost $15.00 more than my buddy would pay at Bass Pro (only 15 miles away).

Since it was not my money I was spending (he planned on paying me back), I decided not to get them and I was honest with the pro shop. I told them I was picking them up for someone else but they seemed to be a lot more than Bass Pro so I would need to call my buddy first.

I called my buddy and told him, he said he had to get a few more things anyway and he would pick me up so we could go to Bass Pro tonight to get all the stuff he needed.

This morning I felt a little bad about what happened at the archery shop, I began to think I should have just bought the heads and told my buddy they were $15.00 less and just ate the difference.

Just curious what some of you guys would do? I do spend a good amount at the shop every year - using the 3D range as well as the indoor and I buy product there now and again. In the end I came to the conclusion that I would have ate $5-$8 bucks but $15 is just too much even though I realize his cost is probably higher than the big box.

Last edited by *twodogs*; 10-29-2009 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know that I would have ate the $15 myself. I make every attempt to support my local pro shop. They have been very good to me and while I know I often may a few more dollars for a product there than I would if I would have bought via the internet or a box store, I know I can count on them for support or warrant work if ever needed. However, there are times when their price is just so much more that you really have no option to buy else where. In fact, there have been times when the owner has told me to buy a product else where because he cannot touch their price. My suggestion would be to support them as much as possible when you can, but know there are times when you cannot.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

Thats a little lofty, most of the shops around here are around the same price but never more than $5 for than the big boys. I wouldnt of done it either.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

A few dollars extra to keep the local boys going is one thing, I do it all the time knowing I could find things cheaper somewhere else especially when its just the small odds and ends. But $15 more??? There is no way! For broadheads! They're expensive enough as it is.... there's no way I'm tacking on that much more money when I could get them right up the street for less...... just my two cents
Old 10-29-2009, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seems a little like gouging to me, or just not a lot of brain cells by the owner. The vast majority of guys will eat a couple bucks, but $15 is out of the question, especially with BPS down the street. The shop I go to is awesome, they are priced right even with big box stores, if not lower, and there isn't a big box within 150 miles of them.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends a lot on the shop. Depending on competition and market, they may not have the volume of turnover that permits buying in quantities that will allow similar pricing. The big box will always be able to buy in bulk, thus better costs. I try to frequent the local sporting goods, pro shop, hardware, etc. Since the closest big box is about a half hour away, it is almost always cheaper to go local for one or two items (just based on gas prices).
Old 10-29-2009, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

the best way to put yourself out of business it not competing with local stores

i think youll see sales from local shops go down the tubes.. i cant buy anything at my 3 local shops for at or less then what i can pay at the big box.. let alone mail order if i can get on some free shipping sales...
Old 10-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would not eat 15 bucks for the shop. I have found it hard to shop the locals here or even in ky. There always high there always rude if you say bass pro or cabelas. I did find one not to far away he does it out of his 2 car garage. great guy helps alot. I have been there once but he was helping alot of people and saying no charge.
i will buy anywhere i need to. I do not always look at price depends on my budget. SOmetime i will. Like now i called 15 stores and talked with 5 people online about getting a triumph cheapest price i found was from a fellow member on here. I would rather support huntingnet or a fellow member then the guy down the street. Not because of price but because he is rude and never wants to help. Though he knows his stuff.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually only buy local. Like I don't see why not to help the little guy out. If I open my own archery shop I'll scratch your back you scratch mine kinda deal. I'll let you slide on some stuff but know it wasn't free for me to do and I just appericate the business.

Ryan.