Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What Would You DO? >

What Would You DO?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What Would You DO?

Old 10-29-2009, 05:03 AM
Fork Horn

If you are tracking a wounded animal you should have the bow with you. 350 yards is not that far...go get the bow.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will agree with everyone else on this one. (What ever works)?

Go get the bow or Put a knife in him what ever it takes? Just do it!
I have had to do both one time or another.
They both work!
Old 10-29-2009, 05:20 AM
Typical Buck

I own a tracking dog and track/find as many as fifty deer a season and some of those deer are alive. I always have the hunter I am working for carry a weapon be it bow or gun. I carry my Ruger 44 mag. during firearms season. We are not allowed to carry a firearm or bow when tracking at night so I also wear a 6" fixed bladed knife. Cutting their throat is not the way to go. As mentioned above stabbing is the way to go but you don't just start jabbing away and killing one this way is not for the faint at heart. First, your 3" folding Buck is too small, you need a min. of a 5" blade and when you decide to do the deed you need help. A deer that you think is "almost dead" is going to be "very alive" when you and your help pounce on it. One on the head (antlers) one on the hind qtrs. and this person absolutely has to have control of their rear hooves and legs (I put my most aggressive assistant here) their hooves are weapons. You , the stabber, take the middle section. You have to have to move quick- left hand on uppermost leg pinning it to ground. Your target is the heart. You have to stab in an upward motion with a lot of force with your knife entering just behind their leg/shoulder area 3-4 in. above the bottom of their chest cavity one deep plunge in an upward stroke. Again, the heart is your target. Like I said before killing a deer with a knife is not for the faint of heart. You have to be committed. I would not recommend it. I've killed a bunch over the years this way and I "hate" it everytime I have to do it. I will not walk away from a live animal and let it just slowly expire so I do what I have to do but if you can your first choice should always be to shoot it again with your bow or firearm.

Dan
Old 10-29-2009, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

You say you have buddies with you. I would leave one guy on watch, so if the deer did get up you have a set of eyes to watch/follow him and send someone else back to get the bow so you could finish what you started. Then I would make a note to myself to always have my bow with me.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would slit his throat anyways. You owe it to the animals you hunt for them to die with as little pain as possible.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have either stabbed or slit. I'm sure you dont need to hear it, but it's a good reason why you should always have your bow.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

get your bow, or stab for the heart.. it works, if i was in the situation i would try to get him in the heart with my knife, had to do it on a doe the other year and it worked well... my second choice was to get my bow.......... lets see some pictures of the deer!?!