Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Rage? $40 later now I know!!!!! >

Rage? $40 later now I know!!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage? $40 later now I know!!!!!

Old 10-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rage? $40 later now I know!!!!!

Well I resisted the temptation until the other day. I ponyed up the $40 for a set (3 LOL) of Rage 2 blades. I shot the practice point and did a little adjusting to get it were I was happy. Last night I went out with intentions of harvesting a adult doe, to see if all the hype was true. I did finally end up shooting a nice fat doe, although the 1.5 year old bucks made it a real choir. Anyway back to the hype, to my surprise the Rage head hit about oh 8" high right in the back bone. To say the least she went straight down. After I got down and dispatched her with my Gerber I started thinking WTF. I was calm there was no wind, no branches, she did not drop, she was calm, so I was left scratching my head. So today it is way to windy to hunt so I figured what the hay, I went out in my poll barn and shot. I was already questioning these heads in my head now so I figured I will shoot the hunting heads to see if they fly ok. WOW They were all over the place. BTW my bow will group fixed blade heads like field points so I know my bow is not out of tune. Never the less I put my old reliable fixed heads back on and will continue using them. I guess I am on the 50% now that will say they are just hipe. I will say this they are durable the one that shot through the back bone of the doe is just fine. They also have one heck of a field staff program. So my 2 cents shoot what you trust. Oh and for the 50% that love them flame away.

Last edited by Bbearfax; 10-28-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

I shot the practice tip many times and it hit where I wanted it to. I've only shot once at a deer with the rage broadheads (2-blade) and the result was a double lung shot with a gaping hole. So, I personally cannot say they are hype. I personally stand behind them.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been trying them out the last couple of seasons and shot 2 deer so far with no problems whatsoever. They fly great for me. I'll keep using them for now. Is it possible they could be opening up on you?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by lifesadrag
I've been trying them out the last couple of seasons and shot 2 deer so far with no problems whatsoever. They fly great for me. I'll keep using them for now. Is it possible they could be opening up on you?
I suspect that this is the trouble too. Now that I have it in my head I just fell I should shot something I have faith in the rest of the season. Cause like I said the have a heck of a Field Staff program.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bbearfax
So today it is way to windy to hunt so I figured what the hay, I went out in my poll barn and shot. I was already questioning these heads in my head now so I figured I will shoot the hunting heads to see if they fly ok. WOW They were all over the place. BTW my bow will group fixed blade heads like field points so I know my bow is not out of tune.
Sounds like they are opening in flight maybe..... Thats why I won't shoot mechanicals, I don't trust em. Just like the safety on your gun. It's a mechanical device that can fail, always keep your gun pointed in a safe direction. Something like that wording is what your taught in HS... I do carry one in my quiver (got 3 for free) in the fall incase a lil critter comes by like a squirrel, yote or a turkey and I decide nothing will come of the deer hunt at the time. I'd just like to see how big of a hole it might make on one and how many feathers will fly. WCL

Last edited by wingchaser_labs; 10-28-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bbearfax
I shot the practice point and did a little adjusting to get it were I was happy.
Even that simple sentence there suggests that you're bow isn't as well tuned as you say it is. I couldn't imagine a tuned rig that would really need ANY adjusting just for the Rage practice head ??? Then to state that your bow launches the actually mech b-heads 8" high from the practice heads... NO WAY! It sounds like you've obviously got a nock height adjustment issue that is causing the Rages to plane? I'd look into that and if you're still lost, consult a Pro Shop.... thats what they are there for! Good luck with your shooting?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
Even that simple sentence there suggests that you're bow isn't as well tuned as you say it is. I couldn't imagine a tuned rig that would really need ANY adjusting just for the Rage practice head ??? Then to state that your bow launches the actually mech b-heads 8" high from the practice heads... NO WAY! It sounds like you've obviously got a nock height adjustment issue that is causing the Rages to plane? I'd look into that and if you're still lost, consult a Pro Shop.... thats what they are there for! Good luck with your shooting?
LOL.......thanks but no "Pro Shop" needed the adjustments made were because I was going from a 75 grain head to the 100 grain Rage. But thanks for suggesting that I am lost and do not know my own equipment.

Last edited by Bbearfax; 10-28-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

what does your setup consist of? Bow, draw weight, length, arrows, arrow length. Etc.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JoshKeller
what does your setup consist of? Bow, draw weight, length, arrows, arrow length. Etc.
Mathews Q2 XL, 59#, 29" draw, Gold Tip 5575 XT, can't rember my arrow length but it seams to me it is 27ish. Side note my wife is from Martinsburg.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

[QUOTE=Bbearfax;3487359]LOL.......thanks but no "Pro Shop" needed the adjustments made were because I was going from a 75 grain head to the 100 grain Rage. But thanks for suggesting that I am lost and do not know my own equipment.[/QUOTE

Well there are some gaps in your story.. First, you say some minor adjustments and you were ready to go, then you say I hit the doe about 8 inches high.. Well if they shot good for you in the yard then they will in the field.. Whether or not you know your equipment is not for any of us to judge or say however maybe it was a slight case of DOE FEVER!!! Second, maybe you rushed your shot--you also said that the 1 1/2 year old buck made things tough!! Think about it....

I personally shot the rage 3-blade, They are awesome and do some real damage.. between me, my dad, and five other buddies of mine we have killed 22 deer the last two seasons. We have not lost any!!! of those deer 6 have been over 125 inches!! Now there is a statement.. Don't get me wrong some of those kills were marginal but the Rage did as advertised!!! Big holes and lots of blood!! So i read your statement and either think you made a marginal shot and or your bow is not tuned for those tips.. But don't blame the tips!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.