Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
I just screwed up >

I just screwed up

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I just screwed up

Old 10-28-2009, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I just screwed up

I hit a buck this morning but im pretty sure it was above the spine. He was nice too, 8 or 9 pt, probably would have scored about 120,125. The arrow as a little blood but mostly has meat and hair. I misjudged the yardage. But my question is, do you think he'll be back or is hes gone forever? I guess what im saying is, from your guys past expirences, do deer ever come back after being hit? Looking foward to hear what you guys have to say. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

That sucks! Is this a buck that has been in your area for a while, do you have trail camera pics of him?

I have a buddy that shot a buck last year high in the shoulder, terrible shot. 4 days later we got trail camera pics of the same buck (you could see the broken arrow still it his shoulder) not 30 yards away from the stand he shot it out of. He killed that buck about two weeks after he first shot it, no more than 60 yards from where he first shot it.

I am sure if he survived, he will be back.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kickin_buck
That sucks! Is this a buck that has been in your area for a while, do you have trail camera pics of him?

I have a buddy that shot a buck last year high in the shoulder, terrible shot. 4 days later we got trail camera pics of the same buck (you could see the broken arrow still it his shoulder) not 30 yards away from the stand he shot it out of. He killed that buck about two weeks after he first shot it, no more than 60 yards from where he first shot it.

I am sure if he survived, he will be back.
No, no trail cam pics. But there is a bunch of rubs in the area, could be his but im not sure.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

I don't wanna sound like an idiot, but I don't know why you are giving up on finding him already when you shot him this morning? Just because your arrow doesn't suggest a great hit doesn't mean the animal has not expired or your hit was as bad as you think. Should read a post alittle while back from Christine and what her arrow looked like (meat hardly any blood) and how she put forth a great deal of effort to find the deer. I wish you luck and I would suggest more searching...
Old 10-28-2009, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 07tomkat
I don't wanna sound like an idiot, but I don't know why you are giving up on finding him already when you shot him this morning? Just because your arrow doesn't suggest a great hit doesn't mean the animal has not expired or your hit was as bad as you think. Should read a post alittle while back from Christine and what her arrow looked like (meat hardly any blood) and how she put forth a great deal of effort to find the deer. I wish you luck and I would suggest more searching...
I agree with tomkat. Go back out and look for him
Old 10-28-2009, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

^^^What they said^^^

-BH818
Old 10-28-2009, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TheMiz54
I agree with tomkat. Go back out and look for him
Same here, I have seen it quite a few times. Not much blood, second guessing your shot placement. Don't give up till you have done everything you can because you never know, he might be laid up somewhere......and if it wasn't a fatal shot hopefully he'll make a good recovery and you might get that second chance..... Good Luck
Old 10-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

There was a guy on here the other day that hit one and had a pic of him a few days later under the same tree he shot him out of.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wasent giving up guys, i was just asking if he'd be back. I did go back out and look for blood with my uncle and we couldnt find any. We found a little hair and that was it. There is a low spot in the fence that seperates our property with the neighbors(deer like to cross there) and there was some hair on the bottom but there wasent any blood around anywhere. I have to go to work pretty soon so my uncle is going to go get permission from the neighbors and look around there. There's a big pond on their property, and thats where i found my buck last year so this deer might have done the samething. And im sure the shot is above the spine because i dont like to hunt very high. I was maybe 15ft up the tree, if that. So im pretty sure the deer will live. But i think i will go do a grid search of the area tomorrow just to be on the safe side.

Last edited by MOhunter46; 10-28-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

If he frequents the AREA He'll be back.. Happened to me Twice over the years..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.