Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Tuning 101

Old 10-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Bow Tuning 101

Guys,

I've been very ticked off about the tuning I've gotten from ALL of my bow shops. This year, I decided to perfect my own. I began this last year and perfected it this year.

Materials needed:

Bow
Arrow
Pro Bow Square $10
Two straight edges (I found two levels work well, very straight edges)
Two slide clamps (to hold the straight edges)
One vernier caliper $10
Allen wrenches
Knock pliers

The vernier caliper is the key along with the straight edges both the bow square offers and the levels do. First take the arrow and see how far the bottom of your arrow is above your base arrow rest. Make sure you bow square and knock point agree with that measurement. Adjust you knock point as needed.

Next, take your two levels and put them on both sides of your bow where your limbs meet the main body of your bow and use the slide clamps to hold them in place. Measure with your caliper that both distances from the straight edge to the sides of your arrow are the same. Adjust your rest left or right until both sides are equal.

For you beginners, do this first before you begin to question your own shooting skills. For you advanced folks, check to see how straight your arrows are really coming off your bow. I bet some of you who have been relying on your bowshop, might just be surprised.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Spike

Yea I found the shops around here won't be shooting/hunting with it so they have minimum interest in getting it right.

I bought the few tools needed to do it myself and no, I never regretted it.

Rather then use two levels and a clamp and a caliper why don't you just pick up a tru center gauge? One doesn't cost that much at all and gotta be easier with one tool then 4 tools to find the center line.

Of course all that just gets you to a "starting point", or back to it if things take a turn for the worse! LOL
Old 10-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Just looked at it and not convinced, I could be wrong, that it gets my Oneida shooting straight.

Do you have a technical link for the product? I posted on stuff I had laying around.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

i am fortunate to have a local bow shop, the owner is a bow enthusiast and does all the work himself...i am shootin bullet holes an 252fps and couldnt be happier ..i agree that the guys at bass pro or similar stores are taught in a very fast paced course..in essence, experience is the key!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Can you show some pics?
Old 10-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Spike

Just looked at it and not convinced, I could be wrong, that it gets my Oneida shooting straight.

Oh I don't doubt it does, just saying a tru center gauge is going to be easier is all.

Let me see if I can find a link to one easy enough a minute, if not I'll post a picture of mine.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Spike

Here's one on ebay but not a real good picture. (I do not know or endorse the seller, for reference only)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170362586220

See if I can find a better picture.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Spike

Oh I miss read your post, you seen what one looked like, wanted technical information for one?

Nothing technical about it really, just a simple gauge that determines the tru center of a bow to find a starting point for the arrow rest. All that's needed to use it is a flat surface on the riser near the rest.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

it wouldnt hurt a person or company to go around to all the ganders and bass pros and give seminars on basic and advanced bow tuning

wont be ALOT of money to be had but i bet it would be a pretty good joint venture among some of the higher end bow and hunting gear companies..

theres only so much you can learn off the net.. sometimes it pays to see it done in front of you to concrete the info into your brain.

funny thing.. i offered to PAY a pro shop to show me what to do.. 100$ cash and wouldnt take it.. b/c he knew he would be loosing my 75$ twice a year ..
Old 10-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Dominant Buck

I've seen it and many others. What I saw of it didn't convince me of the tru center shot. However, The steps I pointed out do convince me (as and engineer) I got my true center. Not to mention the shot I've been looking for. As I pointed out in my first post, I've taken my bow to several bow shops. One in perticular I'm more disappointed with because I bought my first black eagle from and it was awesome. What I posted, most may find in their own garage today. Even without a simple caliper, a tape measure may be enough to convince you that you've been screwed by your bow shop not to mention why your shots aren't dead on, everytime.

C str, do you want pics from me? If so, post the request directed to me and I will do it this weekend. I leave for Denver in the morning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.