HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How could i have ever been that dumb. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/308098-how-could-i-have-ever-been-dumb.html)

bigtim6656 10-27-2009 01:37 PM

How could i have ever been that dumb.

I went to the range yesterday and did some bow shooting. I go to the rifle range as it is not to far away and has a long range and a good dirt back stop. I set my glendale full rut up and stated at 30. First arrow slide right over the top and hits the dirt. I thought will must have jerked alittle. As i have noticed i do that every 8th arrow or so. Not sure why. Second is high in the backbone area. Third is a high lung maybe double lung. 4th is high just below the backbone in the block. Well i am figuring my sight is off. I did notice the other day the bolt that connects the sight to the bow was alittle loose. Guess thats what i get for letting gander set it up. So i step out to 40 to see if it is the sight or just my 30 yard pin. I draw and think hey that my red 30 yard pin. No thats my 40. I stood there and said Mother ****** The deer i shot over last week at 26 was shot using my 40 yard pin. Well when i shot my 40 yard pin it is low by about 4 inchs. So i step back to 30 and it is dead on. I can not belive i did that.

As for why here is what i think. On my old sight my 20 pin was green, my 30 was red and my 40 was yellow. On this one the 20 is green the 30 is yellow and the 40 is red. Plus i am using 3 out of 5 pins now where i was using 2 out of 3 on my old one. As i could not shoot 40 before so i did not set it. I guess between that and the fact i was alittle unnerved as one doe had just busted me and the other was alittle spooked i got in a hurry.

Sorry this was so long.

deerhunter518 10-27-2009 02:35 PM

just forget the color i have different color pins to but i cant tell u what color is for what yardage. my pins go like this 20 30 40 50 if i have a 40 yard shot i just start at the 20 pin and count 20 30 40 then release if i relied on colors i (myself) would get confusede trying to remember what color was for what pin

bigtim6656 10-27-2009 03:22 PM

Well i did not notice the color till i relized what i did. How i noticed was i used the same pin when target shooting. Then thought it throw. Could idea counting like you do

Originally Posted by deerhunter518 (Post 3486197)
just forget the color i have different color pins to but i cant tell u what color is for what yardage. my pins go like this 20 30 40 50 if i have a 40 yard shot i just start at the 20 pin and count 20 30 40 then release if i relied on colors i (myself) would get confusede trying to remember what color was for what pin

danr1 10-27-2009 03:45 PM

Why use so many pins?

I use one pin set at 20 yards to be dead on, I aim a little low or a little high depending on yardage to target.

If it's at 30 yards I aim a 1.5" high, 40 yards about 5inches high, if 10 yards I aim just a hair low and so on.

If your bow shoots flat enough you don't need more then one pin. I mean if all your pins, 10-20-30 and 40 yards pins are all packed in a tight stack all within a half inch of each other on the mount its just added clutter in your way and in the low light and or "heat of the moment" you'll pick the wrong pin.

But yea if all of your sight pins are spaced a 1/2" from each other on the mount, or more, your bow is not all that "flat shooting" and you'll need more then one pin. Even at that I wouldn't use more then 3.

bigtim6656 10-27-2009 04:07 PM

My plan was 20,30,40,50,60. After shooting 40 i am not sure i want to go out that far. I have my 20 pin then my 30 pins sights 1/2 inch below it. Oddly my 40 pin sits just off my 30 not sure why just seems it flatten out alittle. At 30 with my 40 i am about 6 to 8 inchs high. I could aim high like you do but i am not good enough that i want to judge that. I do not get enough time to shoot to be that good. And being able to you do have all my respect. :party0005:. It seems to have a good arc with the 40 yard pin. I can shoot my 20 pin and be dead on down to 5 feet or out to maybe 25. Honestly i still do not know what made me use even my 30 pin. Guess it was the heat of the moment.

Originally Posted by danr1 (Post 3486263)
Why use so many pins?

I use one pin set at 20 yards to be dead on, I aim a little low or a little high depending on yardage to target.

If it's at 30 yards I aim a 1.5" high, 40 yards about 5inches high, if 10 yards I aim just a hair low and so on.

If your bow shoots flat enough you don't need more then one pin. I mean if all your pins, 10-20-30 and 40 yards pins are all packed in a tight stack all within a half inch of each other on the mount its just added clutter in your way and in the low light and or "heat of the moment" you'll pick the wrong pin.

But yea if all of your sight pins are spaced a 1/2" from each other on the mount, or more, your bow is not all that "flat shooting" and you'll need more then one pin. Even at that I wouldn't use more then 3.

c_str 10-27-2009 04:39 PM

It's amazing how many stories you can hear about people using the wrong pin. I know if I had several pins I would have the same story. That's why I just have 1 pin, and use a whisker biscuit. A deer comes in range and things tend to happen very fast - the less I can eliminate that I need to think about the better. Although there still seems to be plenty left that can and does go wrong!

danr1 10-27-2009 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by bigtim6656 (Post 3486304)
My plan was 20,30,40,50,60. After shooting 40 i am not sure i want to go out that far. I have my 20 pin then my 30 pins sights 1/2 inch below it. Oddly my 40 pin sits just off my 30 not sure why just seems it flatten out alittle. At 30 with my 40 i am about 6 to 8 inchs high. I could aim high like you do but i am not good enough that i want to judge that. I do not get enough time to shoot to be that good. And being able to you do have all my respect. :party0005:. It seems to have a good arc with the 40 yard pin. I can shoot my 20 pin and be dead on down to 5 feet or out to maybe 25. Honestly i still do not know what made me use even my 30 pin. Guess it was the heat of the moment.

No I don't shoot more then 40 yards, most places I sit there is no way to get that kinda distance anyway. If the edge of a field I'd generally pass if that or over, I can wait and get closer. Most my shots are well within the 20 yards anyway, more often then not half of that even.

I will and have shot out farther, I shoot once to 70 yards at a decent buck, I did hit it, hit it lower then I wanted and took some time to find it but we did find it but that is an exception.
I don't use or even own a yardage finder, I just guesstimate it.

If you haven't yet, well once you got the mechanics down pat on a target at a known yardages, sounds like your past that, get to a 3d range when you got the time instead of shooting at that bag.

If you can't do that pick up a 3d deer and shoot at it from unknown distances, but not in the back yard where its flat perfectly mowed lawn.

I shoot a couple times at known yardage to check my pin to make sure its on, then I go shoot 3D course or two. They are the best real world target practice for deer, even if the targets are not all deer. The woods, brush and uneven terrain make it hard to read the distance, and the fact they are not marked make you find it for yourself, and don't use a rangefinder.

Anyway that is how I greatly improved my ability to judge distance, it also helps that and I hunt the same land and tend to hunt the same spots every year, I simply know how far it is point a to point b for most all of it after so many years. Or how far it is half way across the one field!

Rickmur 10-27-2009 11:51 PM

That's why I use one pin sights.

NTO 10-28-2009 02:20 AM

Been there, done that! Happened to me once. Setting up a bow for a customer and had the same setup (bow, sight, etc) that I have. Shot his bow, pins were set for 10,20,30. Mine are 20,30,40 and overshot a nice 8 pt later that night. Never do that again.

Northport buckslayr 10-28-2009 04:57 AM

That why I love single pin slider sights! I love my HHA and will never go back to a multiple pin sight.