Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
scent another way to tell deer sign? >

scent another way to tell deer sign?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scent another way to tell deer sign?

Old 10-27-2009, 07:53 AM
Spike

Default scent another way to tell deer sign?

The other day when I was still hunting through a piece of land I haven't hunted for a while I could smell deer urine or something relate almost the whole time through. Has anybody else expierenced this? It was wet, the leaves were silent, the wind was in my face so Im pretty sure I didn't spook any deer on my way through. On the edge of the woods I was hunting there was pretty good deer sign, a few scrapes and a rub as well. I just didn't know what this scent was, it was pretty close to what doe urine smells like in a bottle. I also smelled a doe as she crossed about 15 yards in front of me while I was on the ground too. I just didn't know if any of you guys have encountered this, and what your thoughts are on it. Thanks
Old 10-27-2009, 08:27 AM
byg
Spike

I have on two occasions smelled what I think are deer, it was a real muskie smell. You walk away a distance and it would go away, no scrapes or rubs anywhere. They were spots were a buck was grunting and I couldnt see him and the other I was in a blind and grunted him in from some thicks stuff. So when I could smell something there were deer near by, I am no expert and asked some more experience buddies and they looked at me like I was crazy. I believe you can smell them sometimes.I would like to know the answer myself cuz I never heard anyone say yep! they smell LOL
Old 10-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Youre more than likely smelling the bucks musk as it often occours this time of the year as their glands begin to swell and the hormones and testosteron levels are released throughout the body. Nothing smells better than a buck in rut! WOOT!
Old 10-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

I have smelled bucks that i didnt see walking through the woods several times. Like wis bow huntr said, its the musky smell fro the buck urinating on himself that you probably smelled. Its like gettin hit in the face with a stinky tarsal gland!!
Old 10-27-2009, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

First buck I shot with my bow (Nov 4th) I walked down to where he was standing when I shot him and It like wheewww! That smell you get in a bottle was all over the ground. I thought I smelled it the other day also. I love that smell.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Yep, when the Bucks start to scrape and rub, I can almost always smell them before I see them. Mind you the wind is right.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

buck in the woods, very muskie smell, especially when tracking them after the shot

i remember a buck i shot back in high school, we lost the blood trail and i was bummin to say the least, we split up, my dad and i, and went about 60 more yards and each of us said "i smell him"

he was piled up about 5 more yards, and the smell wasn't from the shot, but his tarsals we thought