Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage broadheads

Old 10-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Personaly I see mechanicals as the latest gimic. They work, but have too many things that can go wrong. Ive been killing deer for 20+ years. Ive tried every type of head there is. I have yet to find any new and improved head that will out do a good fixed, cut on contact head. I also fear that many people are using mechanicals as a fix for poor tuning.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Goose 11, I saw the post from that link for the Rage 2". I shot 2 does with the 2" that I did not recover. Can't imagine why I would not have had more blood if the worked like in those pictures. Also had challenges with them opening when I was trying to shoot. Think I will try something else.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:37 AM
Spike

I will never use Rage broadheads again. I have not been on here for awhile but to update you guys I shot that buck on opening day that I lost and since then I shot a doe perfect broadside at 12 yards from groundblind with 70 pound draw and probably only got around 6 inches of penetration. Decent bloodtrail but it eventually ran out and I never found her. I waited awhile to look for her too. I will never use them again. Going back to good ole muzzys. Pisses me off to know I could have a buck and a doe already if I had used fixed blades.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:01 AM
Spike

Ok..well i guess that clears things up for me...NOT REALLY........im sticking with my "carbon express f-15's" and because this is America, the land i am proud to be a citizen of, looks like we are all going to have a difference to opinion, so good luck and shoot straight with whatever it is on the end of those shafts!
Old 10-28-2009, 07:02 AM
Spike

Just an added bit here........are the heat sinking ,exploding tips legal anywhere yet?
Old 10-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by CutEm
I will never use Rage broadheads again. I have not been on here for awhile but to update you guys I shot that buck on opening day that I lost and since then I shot a doe perfect broadside at 12 yards from groundblind with 70 pound draw and probably only got around 6 inches of penetration. Decent bloodtrail but it eventually ran out and I never found her. I waited awhile to look for her too. I will never use them again. Going back to good ole muzzys. Pisses me off to know I could have a buck and a doe already if I had used fixed blades.
If you hit them where you should it doesn't matter what tip you use.. I'm sorry to hear that you have lost two deer, however I find it crazy to blame poor shots on equipment.. I understand the doe may have been at 12 yards and broadside, but if you stuck her where you should then their is no problem--no matter the head you shoot.. Damn, you could probably of killed her with a field point at that distance giving the proper placement..

About the Rage--I became a believer on our last years canadian whitetail hunt where 3 out of 4 of the guys in my group (me being the exception) had their arrows tipped with the rage 3-blade..
1.) The first deer with the Rage was a 9-pt killed, it dressed out at 245 pounds
(128 p&y)--right through the boiler room at 20 yards and only ran 40-50 yards, and the blood trail was crazy. This is only shooting 50 pounds with the General by Bowtech.
2.) Second deer was a 11-pt, dressed 250, scored 136 p&y. The shot was at 18 yards, the Shot was poor and way back on the deer however he was saved by the Rage and was lucky enough to tip the front side lung and go into the liver. This deer ran only 80 yards and was surprisingly dead within seconds of the shot. Once again a complete pass through with lots and lots of blood.
3.) The third deer was mine, 9pt, dressed 230, scored 130 p&y. it was on the 2nd to last day of the hunt, my arrow was tipped with the Montec G5's, I hit the deer perfect. The shot was 25 yards. The deer ran about 130-150 yards, the blood trail was terrible with a spot here and there. I have witnessed this type of blood trail with these broadheads before--NOT GOOD!!
4.) The last buck killed was a 11-pt, it was 235 pounds dressed, scored 118, this buck was shot with the rage and only went about 20 years before stoping and pilling up. The shot was 30 yards. This was the first deer that this guy had shot with the rage and has been a die-hard fixed blade hunter for over 30 years. He has killed 8 bucks that have score over 125 p&y, and has a 162 gaint to his credit.. All killed with his bow and a fixed blade. He has now switched over to using the rage full-time.

That brings me to this year---I have shot a decent buck and medium size doe with the rage, I have to say they are simply awesome!! I have had no problems with them--they have huge holes and lots of blood.. I actually have enjoyed to shooting them for the purpose of what they can do to the animal.. WOW, is all that I can say...
My Dad now has switched over to them and has one buck to his credit, it ran probably 60 yards--DEAD!!! He only shots 50 pounds (diamond black ice) and he had a complete pass through at 26 yards.

I would recommend them to anyone!!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

ive heard both good and bad..a buddy of mine uses them and swears by them...they are a good broadhead..however i use grim reaper razorcuts and they are pretty nasty on deer too..ive shot 5 this year with them and only had one run out of sight and even then she didnt go 60 yards...IMO u cant really go wrong with either broadhead..i just dont like usin what everyone else does and paying 41 dollars for 3 heads that i cant reuse..which brings me to another thing...i have shot 3 deer with one of my grim heads and they have all been straight pass throughs
Old 10-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

I also agree, as I usually go with something different. I choose to use the 2 blade Rage this year and nailed a nice spike with it. Here is a pic of what the head did to the deer. I am a bieliever now and will continue to use them. Great product and lives up to the expecatation.
Attached Thumbnails Rage broadheads-spikerage.jpg  
Old 10-28-2009, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bowanna03
I also agree, as I usually go with something different. I choose to use the 2 blade Rage this year and nailed a nice spike with it. Here is a pic of what the head did to the deer. I am a bieliever now and will continue to use them. Great product and lives up to the expecatation.
Can't beat that!! That is a great example of the damage the rage can do.. I shoot the 3-blade but still have one hellava hole in the animal..

Show me a head that can do the damage of that, honestly!
Old 10-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

my cousin shot a doe in the hind quarters this year and the doe made a loop and landed 50 yards from his stand. in some spots it looked like someone dumped red paint