Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Saw 1st sign of the rut last night in Pa. >

Saw 1st sign of the rut last night in Pa.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Saw 1st sign of the rut last night in Pa.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

I had a buck come by on 10/21 right after shooting hours stopped, had his head to the ground on the trail of 3 doe that had come in and headed away from me. He grunted twice, and was only about 20 yards, but I couldn't count points. I saw antler and know it was a buck, so it's starting. I'm excited..except for the rain today.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with Mauser. I still have a doe tag, so I plant to be in the woods for sure at least a little over the next few weeks just to watch the action.

I only witnessed a few tiny scrubs chasing does two weeks ago, but it was mere curiosity (I'm assuming). Even the buck I took last week was still with another good sized buck feeding together. It's getting to that good time, though.

Last year I didn't see anything BIG chasing other than one 8pt. Even into November, I only had 1.5yr olds dogging the does.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

Keep in mind boys a year and a half old buck is like a teenage boy, they start chasing doe almost the moment the velvet comes off. The more mature bucks will not start any of this for at least another week. But is sure is fun to watch but can make harvesting a doe tricky. The mirco mini bucks I had around me this morning would not leave the doe alone. These teen age bucks know they should chase doe but have yet to realize it is to soon.............
Old 10-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Spike

I think it's going to be an early rut in the higher elevations of PA with the 6-8 early frosts that we had. Saw a small eight point bedded with two does last night with the spotlight, looked like he was tending.

Another few days and it's ON!
Old 10-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bbearfax
Keep in mind boys a year and a half old buck is like a teenage boy, they start chasing doe almost the moment the velvet comes off. The more mature bucks will not start any of this for at least another week. But is sure is fun to watch but can make harvesting a doe tricky. The mirco mini bucks I had around me this morning would not leave the doe alone. These teen age bucks know they should chase doe but have yet to realize it is to soon.............
Yep. The 1.5s can be "chasing" at anytime which is why I was seeing this the first full week of October.