HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   need strategy help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/307775-need-strategy-help.html)

sandilands 10-24-2009 09:29 AM

need strategy help

I have never had this problem before and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

I thought this year was going to be a banner year for me because the land I am hunting has soy beans on it and is a river property with good bedding grounds. Problem is that across the beans lies corn. There is nothing on the river bottom. Almost all the deer are in the corn and they come out really late or are back in really early. Its almost barren...... sightings are almost nill. The corn is 1 square mile of fairly flat field, a few simple drainages with shorter corn is all for topography. The only tree line is the property I hunt and next door.
Any suggestions

halfbakedi420 10-24-2009 09:40 AM

deer cant eat like we do..hamburger 1 day and mexican the next...their stomachs take weeks to change food sources and they will usually eat whats widely available...when the corn is all gone they might change to peas, if not ....next year plant corn..gl

sandilands 10-24-2009 10:02 AM

I have no choice on what is plante on the property. It is not farmed by the owner, he leases it out. And they are in the beans but feeding in it at night. I knowI can get permission to go in the cornn if need be but don`t think that would be too productive. Its tight, I can`t see very far and it dry so i think stalking in it would be very noisy. I think this corn is up till the spring. I have seen it left up all winter b4. just not right next to my hunting land.

SouthDakotaHunter 10-24-2009 05:21 PM

Pretty simple solution, but your not going to like it.... Wait for the corn to come out... That will most likely move some of those deer back into the river bottom....

WIbuckchaser 10-24-2009 05:45 PM

Now with the rut kicking in I suggest you set up between that good bedding area and the corn field. If you figure the corn is holding a ton of deer and the bedding area is holding deer than sooner or later a buck is going to show up. Get in there early and stay all day. Good luck.

sandilands 10-24-2009 08:11 PM

Thanks for the advice. I don't think the corn will be out. Although I think Monday I will head on over to the hedorite colony to see if they have plans to cut it soon. If they don't then my stand will have to be on the river bottom as close as I can get to the corn. Which is about 200yds away from the corn. At this point the river bottom is only about 30yds across. Like I said I might have to try a go at a decoy this yr. I also might get the bucks on there way to the corn from another area.
Maybe a scent drag the night before a hunt and then an all day sit trying to drag the bucks out or catch them scent checking the corn. We shall see what becomes of this.