HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Been Shooting Slick Tricks for 3 years and switching to ...... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/307712-been-shooting-slick-tricks-3-years-switching.html)

LKNCHOPPERS 10-23-2009 10:58 AM

Been Shooting Slick Tricks for 3 years and switching to ......

Switching to Rage. I have been shooting Slick Trick 100 grain Magnum 100s for the past 3 years and I have not been very happy with the blood trails. I usually get a pass thru, even on text book shots the amount of blood left to trail is not very good in my opinion. The last two deer I shot and recovered this year didn't leave much blood, one was a spine shot that exited just behind the opposite shoulder at 17 yards and the other was a double lung passthru from 15 yards. Not much blood at the impact site and very little blood on the arrow/fletchings. Not much of a blood trail on either. I lost one this year with a passthru at 10 yards, I followed a sporadic blood trail for 200 yards and then it stopped. I spent a lot of time searching for the deer but came up empty. I have had similar experiences for the past three years with these heads, they are a tough, sharp good flying heads but I am not impressed with the blood trails. I have always been a fixed blade user but I am going to give the 2 Blade Rage a try and see how the blood trails are from them. I shoot a 405 grain ACC arrow at 280 fps. Has anyone else had similar experiences or switched and if so how is it working out?

my7pointmonster 10-23-2009 11:23 AM

Maybe try a NAP bloodrunner. Its like a hybrid design. Part fixed blade part mechanical.

Ryan.

kickin_buck 10-23-2009 11:36 AM

I have not shot the Slick Tricks, but have shot the 2 bladed Rages. I switched from the Rages to the Shuttle T's for the same reason you are wanting to switch to the Rage. The blood trails from a BH with a 2" cutting diameter were not impressive at all. Someone on here mentioned it might because of the straight line exit the Rage leaves as a reason for the so-so blood trails.

diamondrack 10-23-2009 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by kickin_buck (Post 3482140)
I have not shot the Slick Tricks, but have shot the 2 bladed Rages. I switched from the Rages to the Shuttle T's for the same reason you are wanting to switch to the Rage. The blood trails from a BH with a 2" cutting diameter were not impressive at all. Someone on here mentioned it might because of the straight line exit the Rage leaves as a reason for the so-so blood trails.

Thats why you should shot the rage-3 blade... That will solve the straight line effect.

DeerandbearhoG 10-23-2009 01:06 PM

Im very happy w/ sonics. Small head but the bloodtrails have been very good, even on marginal shots. 4 deer shot so far, 4 deer dead within sight.

rogerstv 10-23-2009 01:22 PM

I really don't think you can blame the broadhead fellas. You're looking for something simple to lay blame without considering all of the variables that go into the end result (e.g. shot placement and the vitals that are hit, hole plugging, deer behavior after shot, etc.).

IMO - There is no head that is the "best bleeder". For every head on the market you will find a handfull of people that love them and an equal amount that don't.

Muliefever 10-23-2009 04:53 PM

Wait until you hit a shoulder! Then you will miss you slicktricks!

bigbulls 10-23-2009 04:59 PM

If you guys are supposedly double lunging all of these deer and not getting any blood, regardless of broadhead brand, I would say that you aren't really double lunging your deer. If you put a broadhead, any broadhead, through both lungs you are going to get blood.

How much blood do you expect from a spine shot?

How high up in the chest wast he 15 yard double lung shot? A shot high up in the chest must fill the chest cavity before blood starts pumping outside the body onto the ground.

How do you blame the broadhead if you didn't recover deer number 3? Sure you didn't pull the shot and get liver and not lung? I bet dollars to donuts that you got liver and not lungs.

If a slick trick magnum (which has 1/4" more blade than the 2 blade Rage) isn't producing blood on the ground then a two blade rage isn't going to do any better and neither is any other broadhead.

Honestly, from your accounts I would say the problem is shot placement and not the braodhead.

Marylandbowhunter 10-23-2009 06:08 PM

Don't blame the heads, Sounds like a **** poor shooter

buzz_boy35 10-23-2009 06:51 PM

I have shot 2 deer from the ground this year. Small blood trail due to mid entry and mid exit holes. The cavity was full which was to be expected. Shot one from the tree stand High entry, low exit. Awesome blood trail. The cavity was pretty much empty. Pop a hole in the bottom of the milk jug there will be milk everywhere. . All deer were shot with 2 blade broad heads. Meat seeker (small hole in and out), Tekken (performed great in and out), After shock (small entry huge out). I love to try different heads and really the only one I haven't cared for is the meat seekers, just because they didn't open all the way. We tested them on 3 deer this year and every one measured 1 1/4 hole with the 2inch 2 blades. I like fixed and mechanicals. I always have a muzzy in the quiver. My best every blood trail that looked like someone spray painted the trail was with a Rocket sidewinder. Like someone said earlier in the post its all about shot placement. Shot it from the ground right thru the heart.

Thanks. :wave: