Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Been Shooting Slick Tricks for 3 years and switching to ...... >

Been Shooting Slick Tricks for 3 years and switching to ......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Been Shooting Slick Tricks for 3 years and switching to ......

Old 10-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also have taken 3 animals now with slick tricks ( 2 deer 1 bear ) and also find there isn't a great blood trail. Everyshot was a passthru and all animals died quickly and were recovered but I just switched to an SST Jackhammer mechanical and the things leave a blood trail that looks like a crime scene. I will be hunting this season with those and see how they make out but after 2 kills I am impressed.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've killed deer with over 30 different models of Broadheads many of them expandables. If you are Not getting excellent Bloodtrails it is No fault of the broadhead.

Some heads are tougher, some may fly better, sharpness can vary also, but I guarantee you most lack of Blood on trails that are blamed on broadheads are the result of human error.

I have shot Slick Tricks since 03 when they were supposedly dull. They are the Toughest, best flying, and now extremely sharp broadheads. I have No intention of using anything else in the near future. There are a lot of good choices out there, but chances are they won't fix all the problems

With Tricks I know it's just one thing I don't have to worry about.

Dan
Old 10-25-2009, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with MeanV2 on this one. I do not have extensive experience using all sorts of broadheads. I have used 3, ok 4 different heads. It doesn't matter the brand of the other heads at all. They all have blades and are designed to do the same job. I made my decision on the broadhead that I use due to the simplicity of design and the toughness of the head.
All sorts of things can happen when you are hunting. You can't blame your equipment nor can you blame human error all the time. $*IT happens. Trust me, you can do everything in your power and sometime, somewhere something will will go wrong. I ask myself this when choosing broadheads. If a used Y bradhead instead of X broadhead would the results have been the same for that particular shot.
I have used St's for 3 seasons now. I have one bad experience with them..... but that still resulted in a found animal. IT was NOT the heads fault nor was it human errror. I still use ST's
Old 10-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MeanV2
I've killed deer with over 30 different models of Broadheads many of them expandables. If you are Not getting excellent Bloodtrails it is No fault of the broadhead.

Some heads are tougher, some may fly better, sharpness can vary also, but I guarantee you most lack of Blood on trails that are blamed on broadheads are the result of human error.

I have shot Slick Tricks since 03 when they were supposedly dull. They are the Toughest, best flying, and now extremely sharp broadheads. I have No intention of using anything else in the near future. There are a lot of good choices out there, but chances are they won't fix all the problems

With Tricks I know it's just one thing I don't have to worry about.

Dan
Couldn't have said it better. IMO switching is a poor decision, don't drink the coolaid.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Couldn't have said it better. IMO switching is a poor decision, don't drink the coolaid.
exactly, I tried them, much better options out there than rage.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wasn't really looking for opinions , I was looking for experiences using the Rage heads. Well so far I have taken two deer with them. Both shots were quartering away and both shots were pass thrus. The wound channel was very big and the blood trail was good. One opening was 4" going in and 3" coming out. The other was 3" going in and 2" coming out. I really like the performance of these Rage 2 Blade heads so far. I will post problems as well as good results.
Attached Thumbnails Been Shooting Slick Tricks for 3 years and switching to ......-ragewound222.jpg  

Last edited by LKNCHOPPERS; 11-17-2009 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Added Picture From Second Deer.
Attached Thumbnails Been Shooting Slick Tricks for 3 years and switching to ......-rage2bladewound.jpg  

Last edited by LKNCHOPPERS; 11-17-2009 at 05:39 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

My opinions are based on 40 years of Bowhunting, and using Slick Tricks since 03. I would say there are very few that have used as many different broadhead models and types as I have.

Regardless of broadheads you make a Bad shot it is still a bad shot. Does anyone really think a 3/4" bigger cut from a 2 blade makes that big a difference?

As far as cutting how much cutting does a 1 1/4" 4 blade do compared to a 2" cut 2 blade head? Marketing really works, if you spend enough money. Says something about our intelligence. I do sell both heads and I can tell you where the most sob stories come from. If a person prefers a mechanical head for whatever reason I think the Rage is one of the better choices.

Again IMHO a good shot is a Good Shot and a Bad Shot? Well.......................... I think it's obvious.

Dan
Old 11-17-2009, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

I have shot the rage 2 blade since the 3 blade is illegal in NY and I found that there is a considerable lack of penetration compared to fix blades. I shoot Steelforce Phat Heads. Before I would switch from a fixed blade to a mechanical, I would rule out bow tuning or shooter error. To go on further....

Since you recovered a deer with a mechanical (flies like field points), you may want to go over your bow again to make sure it is tuned properly. I lost a deer two weeks ago, very similar to what you described, lack of a blood trail, but the reason for the lack of blood trail was a poor shot on my part. The deer came up on me quick and I rushed the shot - simple as that. I believe I torqued the bow and the arrow went about 8 inches farther back than it was suppose to which ended up in the liver. To ensure it was not my equipment, went back to the house to wait the deer out and I pulled out the target. I was drilling it at 34 yards, the yardage I hit the deer at, so I know it was me and not the broadhead or any other equipment issue. We went in that night but the coyotes already were on the deer, turns out that deer was not mine as I had a pass through and this arrow was still in him (shoulder shot). Never found my buck after 3 days of searching, first one I lost and it all amounts to the shot placement. Lesson learned for me, let him pass if you are trying to get a shot off quickly.

Last edited by *twodogs*; 11-17-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Spike

My first season hunting I was suckered into the hype of fancy marketing/fancy broadheads. Went with a expandable blade broadhead. My very first buck, the expandable did not get a pass through. Broadhead hung up on ribs going in and out. Took 2 days to find the buck. Buy then the 'yotes made an un-godly mess. I tagged him, cut the antlers and almost considered quitting the sport.

Decided that I'd invested too much time and effort into the sport to bail that easy - what kind of an example would that set, etc.

Investigated a bunch of broadheads - went with a 3 blade fixed until they launched the slick tricks. Have only had one shot not pass through - spine shot. The butcher found the broadhead (I warned him and showed him where I thought it'd be). He kept the spine/vertabrae where the ST hit - it almost made it out of the spine. Not much damage to the broadhead at all. I'll stick to my ST broadheads.

I know how important a blod trail can be, but in the last 7 years (ok - last 2 were strikeouts), I've not needed a blood trail - I watched each deer go down within 25/30 yards of being hit. That's what I want my broadhead to do - put the deer down quickly. I've had my long tracking/trailing experiences, been there done that - rather watch them go down right in front of me.

But as with everything that is worth while - YMMV !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.