HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   End of October strategy? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/307599-end-october-strategy.html)

07tomkat 10-22-2009 10:13 AM

End of October strategy?

Well all the season has been under way and I noticed alot of success from many people and it's awesome! Congrats to all of you who have taken deer so far.

As we approach the end of October I would like to ask how's everyones hunting has been so far this year and what they expect from here on out?

Mine has been really slow. Haven't seen a dang deer yet in five sits. I moved 2 stands last sunday so I am hoping this change will make a huge difference as well as the weather hopefully cooling off soon. I will be out again on saturday morning/night and I have a vacation week the first week of November. Good luck all!

daveyrock 10-22-2009 10:28 AM

I too have had a pretty slow season thus far, I have seen my fair share of deer but recently the action has slowed. I've sat with my brother as he took his first deer and shot and missed at a doe. It has been very rainy this fall and those conditions have kept the crops in longer than usual. Hopefully the corn will come out soon and I'll start seeing a lot more action in the woods.

Heading out this weekend for a couple of sits, Saturday in the morning and Sunday evening. After that all depends on weather/wind/rut activity/farmer activity

I'm sick of the corn being up!!!

Carl77 10-22-2009 10:51 AM

crops need out. i think that would help a ton. i have had a slow season too.the only deer i saw was about 80 yards away and a farmer came out to check his crops...so away he went. hoping when the crops are out the hunting will get better... looking to take one with my new bow...

BrentH243 10-22-2009 02:45 PM

I haven't been out in a while...but just like you, I am taking a week off in November that I'll be sitting all day. My dad was saying that this is the slowest year he's seen in quite some time. The magic time is yet to come, but he was thinking with all the corn up, that a lot of deer are gonna make it through this year. Especially if the corn is up for the 2 week gun season.

SouthDakotaHunter 10-22-2009 04:07 PM

Just trying to spend as much time in the stand as I can.... With all the crops in I'm mainly sitting field edges right now.... In the next few weeks I'll start to sit more travel corridors...

Damon 10-22-2009 04:27 PM

Ditto on the sitting and waiting for the crop to come off. I have been seeing a few recently and getting some on the cameras while Im not out, looks as though they are starting to come into early rut here in NE Wi. Finally seeing some scraping going on, ran acrossed 6 new ones in a two day period.

Hopefully the rain stops and the crop comes down in the next week or two.

crazyman11591 10-22-2009 05:05 PM

this year i've been able 2 get out a lot more than normal i've seen quite a few of the same 6 or so lil bucks on the small property i hunt by my house i have seen 2 different shooters 2 weekends in a row now thought i would have a shot and both turned at 65 yards and skipped the trail hopefully i fixed that by hanging a new stand so keepin the fingers crossed for this weekend.....as for rutting i have seen many new rubs and scrapes the past 2 weeks and this weekend 3 little bucks were chasing a doe around the field for an hour

bigtim6656 10-22-2009 05:24 PM

well so far i have had one miss and one wounded. Seen deer 2 out of four hunts though one was short this past afternoon. If the woods do not fill up with people i should have a good year.

elkhuntinut 10-22-2009 05:55 PM

07tomkat

I would refer to this period as the calm before the storm. I am taking time off starting Oct 30th thru the first week in November. The game is about to change.

My strategy will be to hunt the funnels, pinch points, fence lines, inside corners and timber breaks. All these tend to concentrate deer travel during the rut..

Good luck.

Originally Posted by 07tomkat (Post 3481021)
Well all the season has been under way and I noticed alot of success from many people and it's awesome! Congrats to all of you who have taken deer so far.

As we approach the end of October I would like to ask how's everyones hunting has been so far this year and what they expect from here on out?

Mine has been really slow. Haven't seen a dang deer yet in five sits. I moved 2 stands last sunday so I am hoping this change will make a huge difference as well as the weather hopefully cooling off soon. I will be out again on saturday morning/night and I have a vacation week the first week of November. Good luck all!

MATHEWS PA BOWHUNTER 10-22-2009 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by 07tomkat (Post 3481021)

Its been slow here as well, the one farm i hunt on has a apple orchard tucked away and the frost cut that out so the deer are not moving thru that area. The other area behind my house, well the property owners are cutting wood (fire wood) and the other is logging it off him self so the deer are skitish.

:bash::bash: