Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Shot Placement Question??? >

Shot Placement Question???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot Placement Question???

Old 10-22-2009, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shot Placement Question???

Ok so a friend of mine told me to always aim high when hunting in a stand becasue the angle needs to be compensated for. But the more I think about it the more I think that I should aim low in a stand or on the ground, because, deer duck when they hear your string and if I aim down lower then my arrow should hit the deer square in the goods. Am I right in thinking this, or should I aim right at the sweet spot?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Spike

god no! never aim high! always aim low...that guy is completely wrong...or maybe he wants you too miss! the farther the shot the less you have to compensate for it...aim at the belly line at 12 yards or less and at the heart any other time...i always aim at the heart...that way, if they duck you get double lung or high lung...if they dont duck you get a perfect heart shot!
Old 10-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

Why don't you practice a typical situation from your treestand height? Instead of basing info on what other people say. Height, FPS, Angle... there are other factors to consider. Find a tree, use a climber, set up a target, try it out. Otherwise you might wound a deer.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

darn straight sportsman...practice it and see what happens, doing it first hand is the only way to appreciate trajectory
Old 10-22-2009, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

if ya have an arc range finder, aim fer what the rangefinder is telling you to. when you are in a tree lookin down you will tend to draw a totally different way than you would if you are on the ground...

no arc range finder..get in you tree and draw like you would be shootin on the ground, then bend your hips and aim down at your bag n shoot..this is why he is tellin you to aim high, his pins are set fer the other draw...set ur pins from your blind at the appropriate distance, have a buddy walk around and use the range finder you will be using and put up markers to help distance the deer..make sure you draw the same every time...either lookin down or actin like your on the ground
Old 10-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by blindluck
god no! never aim high! always aim low...that guy is completely wrong...or maybe he wants you too miss! the farther the shot the less you have to compensate for it...aim at the belly line at 12 yards or less and at the heart any other time...i always aim at the heart...that way, if they duck you get double lung or high lung...if they dont duck you get a perfect heart shot!
Thanks I havent really thought of that.

Also I have set up practicing from a stand but I just wondered what to do when the deer moves.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

the only time you want to aim higher is at a steeper angle, like almost but not quite below you. Im not sure on this one but its something i just heard on a show. anyone else that takes them steep shots clarify that for me?
Old 10-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Aim for the exit hole
Old 10-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

It depends if you are referring to aiming high or low because you are worried about point of impact changing when shooting from elevation.

OR

If you are talking about the actual spot on the deer where you want the arrow to enter

If the 1st option...you should not need to compensate if you use proper form. But as suggested, shoot from elevation & see how you do

If the 2nd option, when you are up in tree, you WILL want the arrow to enter higher on the deer than if you were level. Just the same as when the deer is angled away, you want the arrow to enter slightly back compared to when he's broadside.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of my deer are at 20 yards or less. I can tell you to pay attention that your sights and the ring on your sight guard is lined up perfectly when you get ready to release. If they are not it will cause to shoot off target. An like has already been said shoot for the exit hole. If your target is a little ways out then shoot for the lower third of the deer an close to the heart. But always think about the exit hole.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.