Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broken Arrows

Old 10-22-2009, 06:40 AM
Spike

Default Broken Arrows

Hi,

I have a 2007 Bowtech Guardian and in the last month have broken two arrows while shooting. The arrows broke while exiting my bow. My bow's specs are as follows:

30 inch draw
67 lb draw
Carbon Tech Whitetail 65/80 arrows
QAD Ultra rest

The bow shoots in the neighborhood of 270-280 fps.

I've shot thousands of arrows from this bow, the only change I made was replacing the Whisker Biscuit with the QAD last year. Both arrows broke in almost the same place, very close to the top of the fletchings.

Anyone heard of this happening before? I'm planning to take it to the local pro shop today, but any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. THanks.

Kevin
Old 10-22-2009, 06:44 AM
Spike

IDK what to tell ya. I hear the strongest arrow on the market is the Easton Full Metal Jacket. Honestly idk what could cause it
Old 10-22-2009, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Consider new arrows

Aint worth taking a chance.

Goldtips are tough as nail.
DB
Attached Thumbnails Broken Arrows-imagejpeg952.jpg  

Last edited by OklaBowhunter; 10-22-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

What tip weight are you using and how long are your arrows?

Even though the arrow says 65-80 does not really mean that in every case it will be suitable for a 65# to 80# bow.....especially shooting a 30" draw. I checked the CT web site and they don't specify what the actual spine is of that shaft (.340 maybe?)

What was the history of each of the arrows that broke? Did they ever take a glancing blow, smacked together while group shooting, etc...

While I don't shoot CT arrows, they are one of the major manufacturers of carbon shafts out there. I seriously doubt that their Whitetail shafts are problematic. Especially that you have broken two in the same place.

For the other manufacturers there are tons of great ones out there. You will hear from fans of all the other major brands, "XXXX brand is the best", "this arrow is super tough", yada yada yada. Truth be told, the quality of todays higher end carbon arrows is so high that I doubt that you could really tell the difference from one to the other.
Pick an arrow that matches your weight range and price range, and go from there.

I shoot Carbon Express Maxima 350s because I like thier weight forward design, but would have no problem switching to Gold Tips, Easton, Carbon Tech, or just about any other.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Spike

I couldn't tell you the exact history of each broken arrow. I don't shoot groups into my target however.

My arrows are 30" shaft length and I use 125 grain heads.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:02 AM
Spike

if the spine strength of your arrow isnt enough...this will happen...move up a size in arrows
Old 10-22-2009, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

My guess is they must have been cracked prior. Flex test your arrows regularly and if there is any doubt, chuck em.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Kman1
My arrows are 30" shaft length and I use 125 grain heads.
I don't have my calculator handy, however with your DL, DW, arrow length and tip weight, those arrows may be underspined for you.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kman1
Hi,

I have a 2007 Bowtech Guardian and in the last month have broken two arrows while shooting. The arrows broke while exiting my bow. My bow's specs are as follows:

30 inch draw
67 lb draw
Carbon Tech Whitetail 65/80 arrows
QAD Ultra rest

The bow shoots in the neighborhood of 270-280 fps.

I've shot thousands of arrows from this bow, the only change I made was replacing the Whisker Biscuit with the QAD last year. Both arrows broke in almost the same place, very close to the top of the fletchings.

Anyone heard of this happening before? I'm planning to take it to the local pro shop today, but any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. THanks.

Kevin
i would say you have arrow damage prior to shooting. flex your arrows to make sure they don't have existing damage...i shoot 31" 68# Carbon express lites 65/80 and have never had one break on me yet.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

Either your arrows were damaged prior to the shots or you are underspined. Either way, I would get it figured out before you send another arrow through that bow. You're pretty lucky you didn't end up like the guy in Oklabowunter's post.

Glad you're ok, good luck with your arrows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.