Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Maximum draw weight >

Maximum draw weight

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Maximum draw weight

Old 10-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Maximum draw weight

Is it safe to shoot your bow with the limbs bottomed out? Or do you have to back the bolts out a certain amount? Bow is PSE Primos STL 28.5" draw 60-70lb
Old 10-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Limb Bolts

Usually I bottom them out and then back them off 1/4 turn. The tech forum will have some good reads on tiller.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

i got my mathews as heavy as possible...if it does break i don have ta worry bout it..lifetime warrenty and all
Old 10-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Huh...I bottomed the limb bolts and it weighed 64lbs on my handheld scale. I would guess there's some weakening as this bow was produced in 2003, but I'm curious...the cable probably has never been changed (purchased it used in '06, never shot it much). Would replacing the cable result in higher poundage?
Old 10-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

I hope nobody jumps on me about saying this but you will find that if you ask a bowsmith at your local pro shop that they will tell you that a bow performs at its best when it is maxed out. It is intended to shoot at its maximum performance. Good luck and Happy Hunting
Old 10-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Big Z
Huh...I bottomed the limb bolts and it weighed 64lbs on my handheld scale. I would guess there's some weakening as this bow was produced in 2003, but I'm curious...the cable probably has never been changed (purchased it used in '06, never shot it much). Would replacing the cable result in higher poundage?
Yeah it can if the cable and string has streached. That sounds like what has happened,most bows will be a little over rated poundage when maxed out.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

The strings in pretty good shape, but I would like to hope that a new cable could get me some more poundage out of the deal. Why would I want it? Just because
Old 10-22-2009, 03:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I dont max my bows out. Usually 1/4 turn from bottom. Thats what I was taught....
Old 10-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jimmy28303
I hope nobody jumps on me about saying this but you will find that if you ask a bowsmith at your local pro shop that they will tell you that a bow performs at its best when it is maxed out. It is intended to shoot at its maximum performance. Good luck and Happy Hunting
Sorry but I do have to jump just a bit. It is true that bow perform at their highest PERCENTAGE of efficiency with the limbs bottomed, but that does not mean they are intended to be shot there. They are intended to be shot at a poundage that the archer can handle accurately.

That's why limb bolts are on a bow in the first place; so they can be adjusted. If a bow were intended to be shot at a given weight then they could made cheaper by just having a fixed draw weight and be done with it.

Also, adjusting the limb bolts is one of the most overlloked methods of fine tuning a bow. Most guys just set a poundage and make all kinds of adjustments to arrows (fletching, points) when often times it would be so simple to just add or subtract a little draw weight. Of course, many have some idea that it makes them less of a man to shoot less than maximum weight.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Z
Is your handheld scale one of those Cardoza's? Most any of those I've ever used weighed a bow 4-5# lighter than it actually was.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.