Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
your favorite mechanical BH >

your favorite mechanical BH

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

your favorite mechanical BH

Old 10-21-2009, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Grim Reapers here. Been shooting them since I started bow hunting in 2007. I used the 1 3/8" Razor Tips in 2007 and 2008. I upgraded to the 1 3/4" cut this year. I've already punched the bigger 'Reaper through three deer this year. The last one went a good 8 inches into the dirt after a pass-thru. I should add that I use the collar to up the broadhead weight to 125 grains and my arrows weigh a bit over 500 grains total.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Spike

I am currently shooting a Rage 3 blade and shot a nice 8 pt a week ago with mixed results. I have shot numerous heads over a 20 year hunting career and believe that many of the new mechanicals will do a fine job. As for the buck last week, the shot was a little high and may have deflected in an upward direction from the point of impact. I had no pass through and as the buck ran, I could see that the arrow was hanging down at angle with only 10 inches of penetration. I believe the broadhead may have struck the bottom of the spine where it came to rest. Unsure as to why the strange angle of penetration especially considering I was hunting from a treestand. I figure I either deflected off a rib or maybe a tree limb. The good news and the reason I will continue to use them, the entrance hole was very large and left a very good blood trail. The head, even though it struck the bottom of the backbone, remained in tact with no broken blades.

Another mechanical I highly recommend with great results is the Grim Reaper with cut on contact tip. I have shot three deer with these heads and had excellent pass throughs with excellent blood trails.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

Rage all the way on this one! Major holes, shoot straight and massive blood trails.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Spike

Meat seekers I didn't like. A buddy of mine and I have shot 3 does total with them. One 3 blade and 2 two blades and they don't make more than a 1" 1/4 hole all the way thru the deer, so we gave up on them. I tried the 2" after shocks and was impressed with the exit hole on them. They don't leave much for an entry hole though. I have also used rocket side winders and they worked well Also. I have also used the G5 tekkens and they worked perfect. I have shot two deer with them and they left a nice entrance hole and exit hole. My favorite so far has been the after shocks and tekkens. I like the after shocks for the quiver, because they don't open up in the quiver. I like the tekkens for their good exit and entry holes, but they like to open in the quiver.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Wasp Jackhammer SSTs
Old 10-22-2009, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am shooting the Grim Reaper 2 inch Cutting Razor Tip Broadhead this year and I am very impressed with them. The internal damage they do is very impressive!!!
I have taken 2 Doe's so far this year with them . The 1st deer only went 12 yards and the 2nd one only went 40 yards.
The husband has taken 5 Doe's and one Buck with them so far this year and non went over 50 yards except the Buck went proabably 100 yards.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:01 AM
Spike

Love anything nap my favorite mech would be. Spitfires and Shockwaves period !
Old 10-24-2009, 11:29 PM
Fork Horn

Steelhead for me
Old 10-25-2009, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Using up a supply of the old Rocket 100g. Steelheads from before they were bought out by trophy ridge. I stick with them because they have never failed me. Plus my bow is out of tune..JK
Old 10-25-2009, 06:16 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Shockwave
I've been using NAP Shockwaves and Scorpion XP's for the last several years. They work great. They open very easily (o-ring behind blades, instead of over them), are super sharp and shoot exactly like my fieldpoints. The 2 deer I shot with them last year went 20yds and 40yds. I am playing with Grim Reapers this year, but with my setup they don't seem as accurate as the NAP's. I'm still carrying one in my quiver, though, because I want to see what the hype is about.
x2, I shot the Shockwave until the Scorpion XP came out (same BH, scorpion just has a cut on contact tip). I don't have any reason to ever change. Never shot a deer without a complete pass through and good bloodtrail. Shot a doe with the Scorpion XP last weekend quartering to me, went through the front side shoulder and a rib on the other side. Great broadheads IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.