Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
rage broadhead experieces? >

rage broadhead experieces?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

rage broadhead experieces?

Old 10-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Took a small button buck this morning (first light..thought it was a normal sized doe) with a rage 2 blade. It went 30 yard and piled up, about 15 seconds after arrow strike.
Attached Thumbnails rage broadhead experieces?-entry-wound.jpg   rage broadhead experieces?-exit-wound.jpg  
Old 10-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was 7 for 7 with a 2 bladed Rage last year. However, I was anything but impressed with them.

First kill last year was a doe, 15 yard quartering away shot, entered just behind the left shoulder, exited our the right arm pit and broke her leg right leg in half. She died within 50 yards, but left a so-so blood trail.

Second kill last year was a doe, 20 yard broad side shot, entered just behind the right shoulder and exited right behind the left shoulder. She died within 50 yards again and left another so-so blood trail.

Third kill last year was a 10 pointer, 25 yard broad side shot, entered just behind the right shoulder and exited right behind the left should. He died within 40 yards and yet another so-so blood trail.

Fourth kill last year was a doe, 30 yard broad side shot, entered just behind the left should and exited right behind the left shoulder. She died within 50 yards, but again a so-so blood trail.

Fifth kill last year was another 10 pointer, 35 yard broad side shot, entered just behind the left shoulder, a 1-2" high and only got about 10" in penatration. He died within 80 yards and never found a drop of blood.

Sixth kill last year was a doe, 10 yards quartering away shot, entered just behind the left shoulder and exited low behind the right shoulder. She died within 30 yards and another so-so blood trail.

Seventh kill last year was a doe, 15 yard broadside shot, entered just behind the left shoulder and exited just behind the right shoulder. She died within 60 yards and left a blood trail Ray Charles could have followed.

I know these BH's will flat killl deer, but so will any BH placed in the right spot. My problem with them is, I am not getting the blood trails that I thought I should get with a 2" cutting diameter. If I am going to sacerfice penatration, I need to get something back in return.

Switched to the Shuttle T's this year, killed 4 does so far and blood trails that you need a mop to clean up. Go figure!

Last edited by kickin_buck; 10-20-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kickin_buck
I was 7 for 7 with a 2 bladed Rage last year. However, I was anything but impressed with them.

First kill last year was a doe, 15 yard quartering away shot, entered just behind the left shoulder, exited our the right arm pit and broke her leg right leg in half. She died within 50 yards, but left a so-so blood trail.

Second kill last year was a doe, 20 yard broad side shot, entered just behind the right shoulder and exited right behind the left shoulder. She died within 50 yards again and left another so-so blood trail.

Third kill last year was a 10 pointer, 25 yard broad side shot, entered just behind the right shoulder and exited right behind the left should. He died within 40 yards and yet another so-so blood trail.

Fourth kill last year was a doe, 30 yard broad side shot, entered just behind the left should and exited right behind the left shoulder. She died within 50 yards, but again a so-so blood trail.

Fifth kill last year was another 10 pointer, 35 yard broad side shot, entered just behind the left shoulder, a 1-2" high and only got about 10" in penatration. He died within 80 yards and never found a drop of blood.

Sixth kill last year was a doe, 10 yards quartering away shot, entered just behind the left shoulder and exited low behind the right shoulder. She died within 30 yards and another so-so blood trail.

Seventh kill last year was a doe, 15 yard broadside shot, entered just behind the left shoulder and exited just behind the right shoulder. She died within 60 yards and left a blood trail Ray Charles could have followed.

I know these BH's will flat killl deer, but so will any BH placed in the right spot. My problem with them is, I am not getting the blood trails that I thought I should get with a 2" cutting diameter. If I am going to sacerfice penatration, I need to get something back in return.

Switched to the Shuttle T's this year, killed 4 does so far and blood trails that you need a mop to clean up. Go figure!
My friend switched to the Rage this year, and he was trying to get me to switch...not a chance in h@ll I would ever go from muzzy to rage. My muzzy leaves a good sized hole, and I think you get a better blood trail with the "Y" mark from a muzzy than you do with a straight line ----. He has shot 3 deer so far, all Doe's and only 1 pass thru, and it has nothing to do with his lack of K.E.

Everyone who said a well placed broad head of any kind killing a deer is correct, a well placed rage doesnt kill them any faster than brand x.

Just to many mixed reviews for me to give this head any further thoughts about using them.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a buck my brother shot Staurday with the Rage 3 blade. The entry wound is impressive, the exit was not and no blood trail, but the deer fell within sight of the stand. I got some 2 blade and am looking to try them next hunt.
Attached Thumbnails rage broadhead experieces?-caleb-hunt-3.jpg  
Old 10-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would say ya probably hit the shoulder, the leg bone and prolly just the hardest spot in the area is why it didnt penetrate...sometimes a neck shot is better, IMO, if ya might hit the shoulder on your shot..alot softer area in the neck and i would say chances of a through and thorough are 100%...fine then 99%...every broadhead will fail under certain circumstances
Old 10-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by solocamcan
My friend switched to the Rage this year, and he was trying to get me to switch...not a chance in h@ll I would ever go from muzzy to rage. My muzzy leaves a good sized hole, and I think you get a better blood trail with the "Y" mark from a muzzy than you do with a straight line ----. He has shot 3 deer so far, all Doe's and only 1 pass thru, and it has nothing to do with his lack of K.E.

Everyone who said a well placed broad head of any kind killing a deer is correct, a well placed rage doesnt kill them any faster than brand x.

Just to many mixed reviews for me to give this head any further thoughts about using them.
Then he must not be hittin em in the right spot I have only had one not pass thru, and that was with my 101st with asuper light arrow combo and the shot was directly in the shoulder, and it stuck in the opposite shoulder almost poking out the skin.

Your friend must have bad luck... Ive shot as many deer with rages as I have muzzy's. They are both great, but polar opposites...
Old 10-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by solocamcan

I agree the lack of blood trails I seen with the Rage may be caused by the type (straight line) exit it leaves. It only makes sense that a 3 bladed BH (of any kind to include Rage 3 blades) would leave that typical Y exit, thus putting more blood on the ground. I don't know this for sure, but it makes some sense to me.

What I do know is that the Rage 2 blades I shot last year left terrible blood trails (while the entry holes were wicked) and I did not like that. I know my shuttle T's are flying like darts and can see the blood trail while still in the stand.

If the 2 bladed Rages work for you and you are happy with them, keep shooting them. If not, change. I did and I think it will be a while before I change BH's again.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kickin_buck
I agree the lack of blood trails I seen with the Rage may be caused by the type (straight line) exit it leaves. It only makes sense that a 3 bladed BH (of any kind to include Rage 3 blades) would leave that typical Y exit, thus putting more blood on the ground. I don't know this for sure, but it makes some sense to me.

i agree, 3 blade is gonna make a 1/3 more damage and also i would think make the exit wound "leak" more ...
because if i cut 1 slice through my bologna and not an x it bubbles up when i fry it...hehe
Old 10-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Spike

I watched my cousin(Whitetail Freak) shoot a deer with a Rage 2 blade and made a good shot on it, but the thing didnt go in but a couple inches, and we only found a couple little drops of blood. What I've heard they blow the vitals out of their bodies, but what I've seen is not worth $50. So I think you should speaky negatively of somethin tht could possibly save people time and money.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

would be curious to hear everyone's setup as well...

also if they're using the 2 blade or 3 blade rage...

Almost anytime I've ever heard anything negative about a Rage it's been due to a user issue.

I just recently saw a rage BH for 40lb setups...so again I think if you're using a standard setup, 55-70lbs, normal weight arrows, 2 blade rages, and checked the rings to make sure they're in good shape, just replaced my Orings on mine due to cracked rubber etc...made sure they're locked down tight too, no opening without contact here...

So use them correctly and they're devastating from what I've seen. Rage 2 blade get my vote!

Also have heard of way more problems with 3 blades than 2...also personal belief the 2 blade are less likely to delfect on animal contact than the 3blades...

and IMO easily the best mechanical out there. The only mech. I'd ever use. If I'm not using them I'd be using a NAP razorbak.

Last edited by salukipv1; 10-20-2009 at 03:31 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.