Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
I made a ROOKIE mistake!! >

I made a ROOKIE mistake!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I made a ROOKIE mistake!!

Old 10-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Spike

Default I made a ROOKIE mistake!!

so this is my first year seriously bowhunting. i did my homework all summer with scouting and getting the proper gear. today was the second day of the season and i was up in a my stand just before dark. A great 6 pointer came walking right up to me, 15 yards away BUT.....i didnt have my bow in my lap i had it on a hook next to me...i tried to wait until he was grazing but he saw me grab it and he took off!!

my question is... since im a weekend only hunter, will i ever see this deer again or is he out of the area forever? the next time i will be in the woods is next saturday (5 days away)

NOTE TO SELF:ALWAYS BE READY!!
Old 10-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even though you spooked him he didn't leave the county. I would suggest moving your stand a bit so he doesn't come checking your tree next time he's in the area.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should definitely see him again if thats his core area. He shouldnt go too far from getting spooked once like that. good luck
Old 10-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Spike

Thats tough to say. I think it depends on how bad you spooked him. Does he think your a racoon or a hunter? If he smelt you in anyway, tracks etc, you probably need to move your stand.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

Just a personal tip. I use a EZ hanger. they can bend in one or two spots. put it in the tree and bend it till its almost in front of you, that way it requires MINIMAL movement to get your bow off the hook.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

guessing from being a 6pt i would say he is 1.5yrs old......a 1.5 yr old buck is not a very smart animal yet.....he will be back
Old 10-18-2009, 07:29 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by burlyman
so this is my first year seriously bowhunting. i did my homework all summer with scouting and getting the proper gear. today was the second day of the season and i was up in a my stand just before dark. A great 6 pointer came walking right up to me, 15 yards away BUT.....i didnt have my bow in my lap i had it on a hook next to me...i tried to wait until he was grazing but he saw me grab it and he took off!!

my question is... since im a weekend only hunter, will i ever see this deer again or is he out of the area forever? the next time i will be in the woods is next saturday (5 days away)

NOTE TO SELF:ALWAYS BE READY!!
I used to beat myself up about not having my bow ready. What you did wasn't a rookie mistake, but more of didn't wait for the right time.

But bottom line is, usually you will make more racket hangin on to your bow all day. If you have grab your bow, then its not a good shot and you wasn't patient enough. I always hang my bows off hooks. I like the extended ones. I wait until a deer's head is behind a tree, or if I can see him coming before grabbing the bow. If he sees you, then you either didn't pick the right stand location or you moved too quickly.

He will probably stay around the area but he will note that tree and stay away or be leary.

A 6 is still immature. A big 4-5 year buck, he might be tougher to get that shot at again.

Last edited by bigcountry; 10-18-2009 at 07:31 PM.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

He'll be back.. move your stand to a diff tree in the same area. youll be fine..
Old 10-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by fingerz42
He'll be back.. move your stand to a diff tree in the same area. youll be fine..
X2........
Old 10-19-2009, 03:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

He will be back. Get your self a EZ hanger or gorilla hanger, thats all I use now, Cuts back on the movement and I can keep it right infront of me at all times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.