Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
guy baiting on my land!! >

guy baiting on my land!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

guy baiting on my land!!

Old 10-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dyb3and88
I had a friend that found a stand on his property and he took it down and he took it home with him. A few days later the state police show up at his door and they where going to arrest him for stealing the stand. He told them the guy was trespassing and thats why he took the stand. Police told him he cant take the stand like that even though the guy was trespassing. Now this was a few years ago, unless laws have changed, IMO, don't take it home. Just take it down and the salt lick, and put a note on it telling him he is going to get arrested if he finds him on there again. I'm just putting out some friendly advice because I had a friend that had the same problem. By leaving the stand torn down and left at the tree, you avoid any potential altercations.

In Indiana if a landowner has a trespasser leaves a stand on his property then the landowner can do whatever they want to do with it. It is considered the landowners property now not the trespassers. Sorry about the trespassers luck but in Indiana trespassing is a big NO - No.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it were me I would call the co in your county and tell them about it and get advice from them about the bating. In Indiana the law is that anything used for baiting has to be removed for 10 days prior to hunt that area. Just to cover your own butt I would ask just to make sure. He should want to came and catch the lawbreaker in the act. But that might also enterfear with your hunting that area to.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

We had a guy that would trespass on some ground that we own that we never hunted much and we had to run him off 3 years in a row. He would have a stand in the same 2 spots every year and we took them every year. Got 6 stands out of this joker he never once asked for the stands back. We finally had a CO come out and write him a ticket. CO told him it was his fault for trespassing when you know better.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Spike

You need to do something! The law does not just speak to baiting but also hunting over it! An ECO can arrest you for hunting over that bait; whether you knew it was there or not (ie tell it to the judge). I see you having two options: 1) remove the lick so you are not at legal risk while hunting or 2) involve an ECO to catch the guy for both trespassing and baiting. A third option of trying to discuss with the trespasser puts you at risk if the ECOs are already after him/her.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Typical Buck

Can't take his stand? that's stealing? Now that's a good one. Had that on one of our properties. We called and the CO said take the stand home. If he shows up to get it call me and I'll come charge him. If he doesn't, enjoy your new stand. It was nice double ladder stand. lol.

If I come and park my car in your front yard can you have it removed? Of course you can! dyb3and88 your analogy is that you would be charged with grand theft auto. I think there is more to your friends story and the State troopers.

Take the stand and leave a note. Tell him to stay the #@*! out. Easy decision. No wonder trespassing is such a probelm everywhere. When guys do trespass everyone is all unsure what to do and don't usually make it a big deal to the idiot who did trespass.

Last edited by OntElk; 10-18-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a friend that found a stand on his property and he took it down and he took it home with him. A few days later the state police show up at his door and they where going to arrest him for stealing the stand. He told them the guy was trespassing and thats why he took the stand. Police told him he cant take the stand like that even though the guy was trespassing. Now this was a few years ago, unless laws have changed, IMO, don't take it home. Just take it down and the salt lick, and put a note on it telling him he is going to get arrested if he finds him on there again. I'm just putting out some friendly advice because I had a friend that had the same problem. By leaving the stand torn down and left at the tree, you avoid any potential altercations.

1st off, the guy claiming you stole his stand will actually have to come up with a receipt, serial number off the stand ( good luk cause i dont write mine down, ....is there one?) and a pic of the stand bein stolen by yourself...take his cam too if he left one...and the lick is already breakin the law right? ...this would be a case of if i asked you to get me sum weed..gave you sum money and you just kept it....and id call the cops and told em you stole my money and they'd tell me tough shyt!!!(saw it on COPS)
Old 10-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

You just have to be creative. Leave this note:
Thank you sooo much for replying to the personal ad I left in the wayside bathroom. I will be playing the part of conservation warden and I want you to try to "talk" me out of a ticket. This is a life long fantasy and I can't wait. I'll check back every day until we meet!

IF the guy shows up again call the warden!
Old 10-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

Just an FYI, You cant take his stand down, and take it home with you. Then you are stealing. You just need to either put a note on his stand or catch him there and tell him to pack it up and don't come back. He may think he is hunting on the land next to yours that he does have permission to be on. You would be surprised how many people out there hunting Friends, ect... land that don't know where the property lines are.
A few years ago I found someone in a climbing stand 300 yards into this property, I walked over and asked him, what are you doing over here? He thought he was still on the property he did have permission to hunt on. He was very nice about it, told me sorry, he thought he was on the right property, he left with out a problem.
Its your land and you pay the taxes, take the stand and consider it rent for the time he has already hunted you land.