Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
"herd control" hunt in WI >

"herd control" hunt in WI

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"herd control" hunt in WI

Old 10-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not happy with the herd control season either. The area I was hunting in Wisconsin will get pounded for four days. That's why I packed up and headed to the UP of Michigan on Wednesday after work. I'm much more comfortable in camo.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Northport buckslayr
I read about the proposed season next year and it sounds like bowhunters would lose the entire month of October. Between the youth hunt, the herd control hunt, and the proposed muzzleloader season you might as well put your bow away until halloween. I also plan on going to the meeting in Appleton, there is a season proposal from the conservation congress that is a lot more reasonable, it was in this months issue of Wisconsin outdoor news.
Yeah and then put em back away on Nov 9th for a 16 day gun season starting the 11th of Nov, AKA peak rut. T-zone is the least of our worries boys. Go here and voice your opinion and shut this 16 day season down!!!

"Heres your opportunity to make a comment on the proposed 16 day gun deer
season for 2010 and 2011. The season would start 2 saturdays before thanksgiving, and run 16 days.
The comment period is only open from Oct 14 thru Nov 3

Just click on either of the "comment" buttons, and it only takes a few
seconds to complete

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/hunt/deer/proposal.htm"

Last edited by wingchaser_labs; 10-16-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

I dont like it at all, one of my spots is under forest crop managment and there will be alot of orange out there.Every year
a few bucks are found after this doe shooting season thing, a few years back it was a huge 11 pointer, some of these people are shooting at any deer and then they check to see what sex it is that really sucks.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

I think you could suffice it to say that anybody that's a bowhunter hates this crap with the rifles in October. I think it's great to get young hunters involved in hunting, but I don't agree with the youth hunt being when it is. The DNR is continually dry docking (no lube) the bowhunters by giving the rifle hunters more and more time to hunt and exactly when they want it...in the RUT!
For years I've listened to people that strictly rifle hunt P&M about bowhunters getting to hunt the rut, but they never explain why they can't buy a bow and learn to be proficient with it. We know why...it's too much work to actually have to PRACTICE than to shoot a couple shells at the range or worse yet...bore sight a gun and go hunt. PLEASE!
Don't get me wrong, there are some slobs that call themselves bowhunters and should have their bows laid on a railroad track, but the bad apples in the orange army far outnumber them. The gun toting idiots always want what the bowhunters have, so I say let them have their precious doe season the first weekend of October to let them sweat getting one taken care of before it spoils. OH WAIT...most would just let them rot because all they wanted was a precious buck sticker anyway.
I do hunt with rifle myself, but the only reason is because why handicap myself when we go from three bowhunters to 12 guns on the property when rifle season comes to town. The sad part is that for those of us who hunt in the CWD zone will have to deal with what we already have and probably worse for years to come!
Old 10-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

couldnt agree more.