Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Changing horn size regulations.. >

Changing horn size regulations..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Changing horn size regulations..

Old 10-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by dyb3and88
NY has no restriction, Sometimes I wish they would, then we could end up with some better deer. I know PA has a restriction of at least 3 points on one side to be legal.
I live in southwestern PA, and we have 4 point to one side restrictions here. I like it...every year we're starting to see more and more good shooter bucks. I'm definitely for it!
Old 10-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Spike

Sorry Steve antlers, the sophisticated vocabulary. In the country we call them horns.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Spike

Thanks guys. I believe that WV should put some thought into it. This year talking with all of my buddies across the state, everyone says the same thing. Seeing some bucks but nothing of any size. I have a buddy that has sent me his game cam pics bragging about the amount of bucks he is seeing near his stand. the trouble is not a one of them would really get me excited and I haven't killed that wall hanger just yet. In my preseason scouting and such only thing I have seen have been the wirey 4-8 points, nothing that has age or mass. I did see a stud in a field the other day, but that was near the town on the river. So, that would have been a deer that could have easily hid throughout in that low pressure area.

In WV if it is a whitetail it can be shot in bow season. Spots, "antlers" or not (well some counties have restrictions). Again I have not shot my wall hanger yet, and to be honest with you I have only shot does in bow season because I can't get excited about a small rack. My attitude is "THE buck" for the first weeks of Bow Season, then pushing towards gun season I will shot a doe giving up on the bow kill good buck. then I will go into gun season with the rack in mind, but normally end gun season with a small rack of some sort. The property I hunt I am not able to do any actual hunt management, just permission to hunt with no problems.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm all for it if its a voluntary thing or a private land sector setting the regs. I wouldnt want it to be mandatory though. The laws here arent really enforceable unless a LOT more game wardens are hired.

Last edited by JoshKeller; 10-16-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

I live in South Central PA and it's 3 point minimum to one side. I know farther west it's a 4 point min. I wish they would make it 4 point min. state wide. We are really starting to get some mature deer. The only kicker is they still allow juniors and seniors the 3" long rule. I guess that gets them out hunting, I just don't know if I agree with it.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by JoshKeller
I'm all for it if its a voluntary thing or a private land sector setting the regs. I wouldnt want it to be mandatory though. The laws here arent really enforceable unless a LOT more game wardens are hired.
I agree on the hiring more DNR guys. They cover 2 counties now i do believe. It would be more at the checking station for those that are checking their deer in. Problably more than anything it would be putting that thought in hunters mind, "ahhhh should I or shouldn't I?" Instead of man it's legal shoot it! I guess what I am thinking is if the private tracts actions could be spread a little larger and help the "buck" herd.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

The only kicker is they still allow juniors and seniors the 3" long rule. I guess that gets them out hunting, I just don't know if I agree with it.
I would be fine with allowing kids under about 16 years old to take younger bucks.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Spike

Default This is what i am talking about seeing...

Not sure if you guys have seen this game cam shoot. It is from Wyoming County, WV one of the 3 Bow Only counties in the state. This is what i am talking about seeing more of, well alright dreaming, maybe more of his juniors running around. Instead of the red head stepchildren. Nice Buck, will have to see if he finds a hunter this season.
Attached Thumbnails Changing horn size regulations..-giant_big_boy_friend-_1.jpg  
Old 10-17-2009, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

I do all my hunting in section 2B around the Pittsburgh area, the antler restrications are definately working the racks are bigger and so are the deer. There are some real hogs out there!!!!!
Old 10-18-2009, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

The WMA I hunt here in KY. has had a 15" outside spread restriction for @ 9 years now. We see alot more bucks now but more people are taking does so they don't go home empty handed and therefore the number of deer are down. While I am there, I see anywhere from 5 - 10 out of state tags on vehicles. So, the WMA does get alot of pressure.