Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Changing horn size regulations.. >

Changing horn size regulations..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Changing horn size regulations..

Old 10-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Spike

Default Changing horn size regulations..

Talking White Tails,

Hey guys wanted to see what everyones opinions are, or what is being done in other states. I know on some "private" properties (not talking deer managed properties just larger acreage ownerships making their own rules) not a state regulated deal, they are making horn size restrictions and seeing good results. Instead of the if it is 3.5 inches it is legal (im in WV). What are the laws in other states?

Just a curious question.. I have a buddy that has hunted a university forest for the years he was in school and 3-4 years ago they started a 15" spread regulation on the university forest. He said that you can really tell a difference in the 3 years of even seeing bucks. He actually is going there this weekend instead of hunting his own home property; he has graduated and going back to hunt.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer have antlers - not horns.
Voluntary restrictions are great - I will never support it as mandatory.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

they're ok but not when they don't allow you to harvest a mature buck that is on it's way downhill or past prime....
Old 10-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

About 3 years ago the county that our family ranch is in went to a 13" rule (Inside spread) it has improved the age structure as a whole in the county.... This year they added a ton of counties in Texas with the same rule, approx. 60 counties total in the state...
I think all in all it helps with age structure but some of the deer slip through the cracks that really need to be taken... IE: a 5 1/2 yo that is not 13" wide but is really tall and heavy!!!! With that said, I think the good out weighs the bad!!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wish that we would go to a antler restriction here on Public land in Florida. I would be in favor of a 3 points on one side rule so the deer can at least get to 2.5 years old. As it stands right now the deer must have 5 inches of hard bone above the hair line during rifle season and spikes get slaughtered. Archery season is open to anything other than spotted fawns. Archery season is the only season that does are allowed to be taken on public state land in Florida with few exceptions.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wisconsin doesnt have antler restrictions. Sometimes it would be good to see an atleast 3 points on side rule implimented but I dont think thats ever going to happen.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:22 AM
Fork Horn

Here in missouri we have a four point restriction, but on the family land, we have earn a buck. You have to take a doe before a buck. My nieghbors are doing the same thing. My bother-in-laws didnt like it at first, but they are see the reasoning to my maddness.LOL LOL
Old 10-16-2009, 04:28 AM
Fork Horn

NY has no restriction, Sometimes I wish they would, then we could end up with some better deer. I know PA has a restriction of at least 3 points on one side to be legal.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:59 AM
Typical Buck

How's that song go? "Let them be little."?
Old 10-16-2009, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
I wish that we would go to a antler restriction here on Public land in Florida. I would be in favor of a 3 points on one side rule so the deer can at least get to 2.5 years old. As it stands right now the deer must have 5 inches of hard bone above the hair line during rifle season and spikes get slaughtered. Archery season is open to anything other than spotted fawns. Archery season is the only season that does are allowed to be taken on public state land in Florida with few exceptions.
Public land in UP is an issue too. Opening morning if there is anything sprouting from the head, its getting shot. We went to a 3-point rule in 2008, so this will be year 2, so we'll see what happens. Preliminary data (from our trail cams) looks promising. But, with NO harvest registration of any kind, could just pissing into the wind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.