Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
A hard lesson learned. Please be careful. >

A hard lesson learned. Please be careful.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A hard lesson learned. Please be careful.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Spike

Thank you for posting this. Your friend obviously knows the mistakes he made and I'm sure many of us have taken a shortcut while climbing into a stand. It does seem that in the recent years there has been a very big movement on the safety side of things. It seems like many more people are wearing safety harnesses and that is great! However, when I think about things, I think the most dangerous position I put myself in is the process of climbing the climbing stick and then moving from the stick into the stand itself. I currently don't attach my safety harness until I'm in the stand and I know I've got an exposure due to that.

What types of tether ropes/products do you guys use to be attached as soon as you take that first step off the ground? I did some research a couple of weeks ago and thought that the product that this site offers (http://safetreehunt.com/sths1.html) might be one of the most economical - if you don't want to make your own tether lines out of good rope. I would probably need 3 of them and yes, $100 is a good chunk of change but I've read enough stories now to know that I've probably been pretty lucky and should implement a further level of safety before that luck runs out.

For those of you who are attached as soon as you step off the ground - what products do you use?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dang, real glad hes ok, it usually doesnt work out that well.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

Glad your friend is ok.

Originally Posted by nbadger23
For those of you who are attached as soon as you step off the ground - what products do you use?
I use the lineman's strap that comes with the trophyline treesaddle. It makes setting climbing sticks easy cause you can just lean back and use two hands.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Brett im glad it turned out the way it did for your buddy, i could have been much worse, for him.. But im glad to hear he is ok.

-Nick
Old 10-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Spike

I use the Fall Guy Tree Stand Safety System. You can strap in on the ground and it retracts as you climb. It works on the same principles as a seat belt.

http://www.integratedsafety.us/store/
Old 10-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I'll be sure to pass them on to my buddy.

He is gimping out to a ladder stand this afternoon. He can't stand just sitting around. I offered to help, but he wasn't having it. I can assure you all he will be extra careful from here on out. I think his pride is hurting more than his knee. Hopefully I am helping him get a deer out tonight.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

He is a lucky dude, glad he will make a full recovery. This is why this year, I made life lines for each of my hang ons. Cost me $150 (correct rope for this application is expensive) I made 6 total and now some way I am always attached wether ascending or descending. Safety First.

Shane
Old 10-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya it amazes me how we as bow hunters will spends thousands for bow, arrows, broadheads, quiver, release, arrow rest, etc. etc. and alot of us can't seem to justify spending $80-$130 on a safety harness. I bought the $80 Hunter Safety Vest last season, and for the 1st time, I felt safe while in a tree.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Damn glad your buddy is alright. I keep seeing more and more of these posts and stories and keep becoming more thankful nothing like this has happened to me or my hunting mates. Hunting safety should be everyones number one priority as soon as they step into the woods.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sr77
He is a lucky dude, glad he will make a full recovery. This is why this year, I made life lines for each of my hang ons. Cost me $150 (correct rope for this application is expensive) I made 6 total and now some way I am always attached wether ascending or descending. Safety First.

Shane
Shane, do you have the info on what you bought & where you got it, to make your own? That is what I want to do, because the store bought ones are ~$40 each. I need about 10 at least, so if I can make them for $10-15 less each, that would be great. IMO, that is the only real safe way to go.

Thanks
Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.