Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Sick...Do you hunt? >

Sick...Do you hunt?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sick...Do you hunt?

Old 10-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

It would depend on the weather for me. You said the weather forecast there was good. I assume you mean that it’s not supposed to rain. What’s the temp supposed to be? If you have chills and aches, your body has increased its temperature to fight an infection. If you go out into the cold, you lower your temperature and defeat your body’s defense mechanisms. If you have chills and aches and you go out into the cold RAIN, you’re setting yourself up for bed rest in the near future. In both cases, you’ll feel better as the cooler temperature decreases your body temperature, but damage is being done. When you start to warm back up, you’ll be worse than before. As long as the temps are comfortable and you can keep yourself good and warm and not over-exert yourself, you’ll probably be okay. Your call, though. Myself, seeing as how it’s the early season, I’d stay in and recover. I’d rather miss a couple days and be healthy when prime time rolls around than “man up” and end up in bed for a week or even worse.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by LittleChief
I’d rather miss a couple days and be healthy when prime time rolls around than “man up” and end up in bed for a week or even worse.
Just joking around a bit there. No rain. WNW wind of ~5mph and 44-50 degrees.

Chills have subsided this afternoon (finally after three days), only thing now is my eyes hurt when I move them (like a dull ache). It's also just above my eyes. Tomorrow there's a chance of rain, and Friday it's a definite rain, Saturday morning is going to be cold (for this time anyways...35 and snow flurries).
Old 10-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

I'm kind of in the same boat but alittle different circumstance. I had gallbladder surgery last thursday (hasn't been a week) and I asked my doctor yesterday when he would recommend I can go back hunting. He said as long as I can be safe getting up/down out of the stand and able to pull my bow back he said it might be ok. So guess what....i'm hunting tonight. I can barely walk, sore as hell, coughing alittle and I am really tired but hell hunting season only comes around once a year!
Old 10-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MGH_PA
Just joking around a bit there. No rain. WNW wind of ~5mph and 44-50 degrees.

Chills have subsided this afternoon (finally after three days), only thing now is my eyes hurt when I move them (like a dull ache). It's also just above my eyes. Tomorrow there's a chance of rain, and Friday it's a definite rain, Saturday morning is going to be cold (for this time anyways...35 and snow flurries).
I didn't mean anything negative by saying that. If you really have the flu, I'd really recommend staying in. Imagine how you'll beat yourself up if you're bed-ridden come Saturday.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

I also have experienced that being sick emits scents that would otherwise not be emitted, ie. cotton mouth and the "sick smell" I think you are more likely to be busted by a deer if you go into the woods sick and I have had this experience before. Chew some gum or eat an apple while sitting and that may help.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could use Chris Ledoux's "cure-all."
Old 10-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been fighting this sinus thing for about 2 weeks. Been out a few times while sick. Just gotta try not to cough and I'm ok. If the weather stinks and im sick, ill stay home.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe this is what they refer to as a "no brainer". Use YOUR best discretion.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

in early september I had a few days off from work and knew they would be one of the few I got to hunt elk with my bow. I went up to my best elk spot and had one helluva time getting up there. It was miserable, I was sick as a dog. I had a fever, sore throat and nasty cough. I ended up calling in a nice bull and grazed him with an arrow. I looked and looked and looked for any sign of a dead elk. After 5 hours of going over this mountaintop with a fintooth comb, I totally passed out. Like I involuntarily fell on my face and woke up 1.5 hours later with a big gash on my head. If you have a fever I would not work too hard to get way back in. If you have a cough, its hardly worth blowing out one of your whitetail spots. in other words, you will always heal faster if you sit at home. The rut is coming and I would hate to hear about a great area with no deer, cause you coughed up a storm with a cold. Or worse yet dulled reflexes and whatever else and you fall from a stand.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by earnabuck
eat an apple
Funny. I did that before going out, but not for those reasons. I was just hungry.

I went out anyways (I don't have a cough or sneezing), chills were mostly gone, no fever, etc. Passed a shot a doe fawn at 5yds, saw three 1.5yr old bucks as well. Good night.

In fact, I'm feeling a bit better again this morning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.