Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What's the scariest/wildest/wierdest thing you've ever seen while in your treestand? >

What's the scariest/wildest/wierdest thing you've ever seen while in your treestand?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's the scariest/wildest/wierdest thing you've ever seen while in your treestand?

Old 10-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rogerstv
Watch the Blair Witch movie then walk into the dark woods.
LMAO that is great. i felt the same way!!!
Old 10-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the sake of not getting an earfull again lets just say what I saw was not human......only a skeptical primate. End of story!
Old 10-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Spike

This story is the God's honest truth. A outfitter that a group of us used to go with every year decides to take our group out to see his recently purchased 276 acre patch of woods. Now, we're hunting the main farm. This is just a "check this place out " noon time between hunts thing to do to kill some time.

Well it's peak rut and there are seven of us including the outfitter in the group. We are all walking in sort of a side by side horizontal line instead of following in a straight line. All at once we hear some loud running coming right at us from behind. We all turn to see a young eight point chasing a hot doe right at us. Our line is kind of strung out and this deer chases this does right between us and they keep going. Now i'm talking about them running only a few feet from us right through the middle of our line!

Ok, your asking what's so wild or scary about that. Well, we're all laughing and what not and we hear another loud noise coming right at us from behind in the same direction the two deer just came and we turn to see this 140 class eight point coming right at us! This deer isn't running fast, he's just kinda jogging along in pursuit of the same doe. I'm on the very end of the line and this buck is headed right at me.

He goes between me and my friend Dave and as he passes us i tell Dave to make that doe bleat with his mouth. Dave doesn't need a can, he sounds just like one. I just wanted to see what the bucks response would be. He stops this big buck dead in it's tracks and it turns and looks at us and starts walking toward me! He's grunting and he's all fuzzed up and he's about 10 feet from me and coming right at me! Man, i was scared sh**less! I backed up and got behind a tree to keep between us and he turned toward the rest of our line of guys and started walking toward them!

This is insane! This buck then just walks between two other guys steps slowly over a log and goes back the way he came! If we would just have had a video camera on us at the time this would have made all of the tv shows! Needless to say, this was the most afraid i have ever been while in the woods and it ranks right up there with a few other things that have scared me in my life. We were locked eye to eye and this deer seemed souless and about to kill me! This is the gospel truth fellas. I've read about people being killed by bucks in the rut and i'm hear to tell you they don't care when they are obsessed with breeding.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Had a pack of wild dogs run down and kill a doe about 50yrds from my treestand. There wasn't much left when they got through. Made the walk out that evening an adventure. Lol
Old 10-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

lots of great stories guys but I have to say so far the one that makes my hair stand on end and sends a shiver down my spine is still the one about the wife coming out to get you off the stand!!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

funniest thing was watching a squirrel fall out of a tree
Old 10-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Spike

This isn't a treestand story, but I thought I would share anyways .
Ok, so I was walking up to hunt turkey at about 30 min before light... I cross a gully then start walking up through some dead golden rods.. I stop for a minute to listen, then keep going. All of the sudden.. BOOM! this tuekey hen that was ROOSTING ON THE GROUND, fly inches from my head lol. I watched it fly across the gully, then into the field running at full speed till almost the other side of the field.. I think my heart stopped for about 30 seconds, and I think I left a fist shaped crack on my shotgun .. Haha jk.. I ahve also jumped a grouse at about 10:00 at night.. Fresh undies please waiter!!
Old 10-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

the worst thing is having a bobcat let loose in the dark. If that don't stand your hair up on end nothing will! It sounds like a child screaming.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

In the fall of 2006, I was sitting very still in my treestand on Nov 1st waiting for a bigboy to walk by my stand. Apparently I was sitting a little too still because a goshawk nearly mistook my camoflauged head for a perch and nearly landed on it. I saw it swoop out of the sky at the last second and turned my head which caused it to land in the tree right next to me. That thing stared at me for a good 10 minutes before taking off again. It must of wondered why in the heck it's branch just moved. I imagine a hawk claw in my scalp wouldn't have felt too good.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Scariest: 40 years ago. 12 years old. My first rifle deer season. My dad leaves me on a big old heap of PA boulders and tells me he'll be about 100 yards away about an hour before daylight. As soon as he's 20 steps away something starts to growl under me. I'm afraid to move, yell or turn my light on the noise. I froze and it went on for about a half hour till I satrted sending the old man SOS on my flashlight (still afraid to turn the light toward the growling. Finally, the old man yells at me to put that GD light out and I yell back that somethings under me growling. My caring and sensitive father yells back "load your GD gun and shut up"! I eventually sneak off the rock and then the old man has an attack of conscience and brings me on down closer to his stand. I later learned that it was Raccooons snarling at me. I was apparently blocking a den entrance.

Wildest: I'm bowhunting in suburbia. about 100 yards from a house whose residents have no idea I'm on the next property. The teenage girl and her boyfriend are walking around the backyard hand in hand and then they decide to wander into the woods. They get about 25 yards from my stand and all of a sudden, she stops in front of him and kneels down but it aint so she can pray......

Weirdest: A buddy and I are small game hunting. We just walked in and a gray squirrell darts up a nearby tree and my buddy shoots it. It falls to the ground and seeems to be jumping all around for quite a while. Turns out it fell on a grouse and the grouse is Pissed!. That grouse beat on that dead squirrell for quite a while before it spotted us and flushed. We were laughing so hard that we both missed an easy straightaway!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.