Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Another scent question.. >

Another scent question..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another scent question..

Old 10-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Another scent question..

When does everyone start using they're scents? I have read that they shouldnt be used until the rut is in full swing because this may "turn off" the deer.
Basically there are alot of scents out there, is there a right time for say, a doe urine scent? if so, whats the difference between that a buck scent, is a buck scent to bring in another buck that may be challenging?

Whats the low down on this stuff? I just bought some "Moon Fire" by W.R.S. and am going to try that out, I have tried Tinks and the Estrous leaves, but I guess if I dont know how and when to use them I might be shooting myself in the foot rather than shooting a deer.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

you can use another buck scent pre rut as a territorial thing and even into the rut. Wait on the doe estrous scents until the rut is in full swing. Personally the best time is during the rut when bucks start seeking/ chasing phases. Don't waste the money any earlier. JMO
Old 10-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried these early in my career and never had any luck with them, so I don't even use them. I just hunt where I see sign such as scrapes, rub lines, edges of bedding areas, and fields. If you know where the Doe's are bedding, that's going to be your best bet in the upcoming weeks IMO.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

I use Trail's End #307 for pre-rut every now and then... don't know if it has any affect, but in a couple weeks I will be using Special Golden Estrus by WildlifeResearch... that stuff is "Golden!"