Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Lost public land buck :( >

Lost public land buck :(

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lost public land buck :(

Old 10-12-2009, 05:46 AM
Spike

Default Lost public land buck :(

My friend shot his first buck last night wasnt big but was a large body. It was shot around 6:00pm and was getting dark fast. He said he made a good shot middle chest but the arrow didnt go through. He said the fletchings were gone and couldnt see them. Problem is we couldnt find a good blood trail or the arrow. So as I am finding specks of blood we only made it about 50 yards and lost the trail. Then the fun part came, it got sooooo dark and we were unfamiliar with the land. We got lost and I will be the first to admit it. 1 1/2 later we found a trail and alot of thorn bushes. What do you think the chance are that we will find this deer? It was thick where we were and blood was scarce, any other suggestions.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did you guys keep pushing the deer? If so they can get there momentum up and they can go a long ways.... Good luck
Old 10-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Spike

We waited about a hour until actually looking for blood and didnt go to far from where he was shot. My friend was confident that he made a good shot but the arrow didnt go through so not much blood.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of things-how high up was he if in a tree stand? If arrow did not completly pass through but is sticking out the bottom it may be plugging hole for blood to come out bottom. If not a lung hit this could be reason for sparce blood also-sometime a high lung won't give you decent blood for several yds. If he's confident he made a good shot & you waited the hour go back in DAY Light. Lots more shows when you can SEE direction deer is traveling ect.. Keep us posted. If you still can't find the deer, do a grid search-you know, section at a time in all directions from last blood. Unless he died walking check all thickets & high grasses... Good Luck...
Old 10-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

defiantly go back there, blood dawgs legal, 1st thing, if not, get bak out find the trail, and was he in a tree stand..sounded like you said front chest, seems like ground blind to me, buy, defiantly you will see more durin the day, i usually find that when the trail ends it picks bak up in 20 yrds or less and is heavier than b4, i agree with the grid technique and if that fails i do a spiral around the last known blood spot out about 50 yrds, has paid off many times, the animals will cut back sumtimes ..they get hit, they jus run, when they figure out where they are they find the route to get them back where they wanna go..gl

go back n get er' done

Last edited by halfbakedi420; 10-12-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Spike

On our way to go check, we lost blood about 20 yards from the shot. Off the trail he was running is alot of thick high grass, thats where were going. dogs are not legal but alot of people are, I will keep you guys posted thanks for the help.

He was very high up in the stand and I thinks made a lung shot and he is confident but didnt penitrate through. I agree thats the reason for no blood.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
defiantly go back there, blood dawgs legal, 1st thing, if not, get bak out find the trail, and was he in a tree stand..sounded like you said front chest, seems like ground blind to me, buy, defiantly you will see more durin the day, i usuallly find that when the trail ends it picks bak up in 20 yrds or less and is heavier than b4, i agree with the grid technique and if that fails i do a spiral around the last known blood spot out about 50 yrds, has paid off many times, the animals will cut back sumtimes ..they get hit, they jus run, when they figure out where they are they find the rounte to get them back where they wanna go..gl

go back n get er' done

What?
Old 10-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sportstalker
What?

what what?Lost public land buck :(-untitled.jpg

Last edited by halfbakedi420; 10-12-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
what what?Attachment 3791

Who? ----? When? Where? Why?
Old 10-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Spike

This is crazy!!! My firend goes back to the field and see two kids in the parking lot that are walking in. They ask my friend if they are tracking a deer? Well two other younger kids going out to hunt happen to stumble onto the deer. They called their friends my buddy met in the lot to come help them gut a deer being that they didnt know how. So they found the deer and it was a little 6 pointer but his first deer with a bow thanks for your help guys. Good luck this year!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.