Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
I lost my buck tonight. >

I lost my buck tonight.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I lost my buck tonight.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default I lost my buck tonight.

Well everything went good till i hit my release trigger and thats where everything went wrong. I dont know why or how but my compound hit the side of my climber, the arrow hit my buck but where i dont know seems to be some blood hair and fat on the shaft. It penetrated at least 4 inches by the looks of it. What are your thoughts? I found blood about 60 yards away and when i watched him all he was doing was walking funny and wagging his tail. God this is a bad feeling in my gut. frost for to night so i like that but then rain......................
Old 10-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

I hit him in the back somewhere but because i bounced my bow off climber............................ not sure where it hit i know he ran off funny and slow.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

got a blood dog? are they legal? if so do that 1st, if ya find the deer and it walks or runs away, in the mornin, it could maybe live, but it will be severely smaller next year. if no dog, then ya need a few friends and a 12 pack a beer and go find that suker..IMO the fat is usually thinckest on the back..how ya kno it only went 4 inches deep or whatever?

and ya hit the stand because of sum technicle term fer "caught up in the moment, and jus concentration on the peephole." sum1 will help on this one.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

What color was the blood and hair on the shaft? Was the fat on the shaft thick, or "greasy"? If it was thick solid fat, I would say you ran your arrow across it's back, greasy, I would say you got guts. White hair would again lead me to believe you got a gut shot, dark hair a shot across the back.

Don't beat yourself up too bad, you just have to make sure you know where that bottom cam is at before letting it rip. Get up nice and early in the morning and start grid searching. You never know, it might turn out okay for you. Good luck!!!!
Old 10-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

Baked, the arrow shows it mine are black game getters and you can see how far the arrow went in. I got good blood on it but fat as well and dogs are a no no. Beer are a yes yes. IMO opinion i think he will live but will look for a bit in the morn. Suppose to get to minus 5 tonight.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well hopefully you will have some luck finding him in the morning. Let us know how it turns out.
Dont beat your self up over it----------happens to us all.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

Ive got a thick clumps of fat and some blood but i found blood tonight around 9:30 tonight and was not alot but there was good blood for a back shot. I hope if i lose him he lives for another day.4 inches is alot to me though. I hate this im gunna go get drunk.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

KB i shot him 16 ft straight down out of a tree in my climbermaybe a slight angle but not much. I know when i hit him he did a jump then sort of trotted off then stopped about 60 yards from me and the waged his tail kinda funny then that was it, but no guts no greasy fat.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Spike

If you got guts you would smell it on the arrow. If you dont, he will more than likely be fine but I would still do every effort to find him to make sure.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

this is kinda confusing...

you shot directly straight down on him?? found the arrow and its got 4" of blood and fat on it and the rest is clean??

you couldnt see where on its body the arrow was sticking out of???

walking funny and wagging its tail tells me it could have been a gutshot...but straight down...i dont know...obviously missed the spine...i just cant see an arrow being stopped by bone making a deer walk funny and wag its tail..usually when bone is hit hard that deer isnt going to stop or walk slowly, but will blow outta there hard and fast and not slow up for a little ways atleast...

only thing you can do is get out there and look...wait till the frost burns off and start where you left off...a high shot isnt going to leave much blood on the ground unfortunently...gather some buddies and search long n hard for the body after you lost the trail and hit all likely areas in the direction it was heading...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.