HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Alphalpha= Little bucks/does? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/306504-alphalpha-little-bucks-does.html)

IOWAWHITETAILS 10-11-2009 08:44 AM

Alphalpha= Little bucks/does?

I been hunting a patch of alphalph bordering a corn field the last week...been seeing alot of deer more small bucks than does....Wheres the big guy hiding? He waiting till dark too come out?

halfbakedi420 10-11-2009 09:10 AM

our "biguys" are nocturnal here, until rut, and they usually enter in a different area than the others, he may be seein you and waitin for ya to leave, acorns are fallin here and hard to get em to move if food is everywhere. could be in the tree's, maybe a treestand on a good trail where a big rack can makes it way through the thicket. easily, god luk

GMMAT 10-11-2009 10:17 AM

You just have to remember......bucks eat the same things does do.

When do they eat? How much have you hunted the area?

Hunting pressure/human pressure makes bucks go nocturnal (most obvious reason).

BrentH243 10-11-2009 04:26 PM

What they said...just be patient for a couple more weeks and the pre-rut will get those big ones making mistakes in the daylight.

IOWAWHITETAILS 10-12-2009 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by GMMAT (Post 3470127)
You just have to remember......bucks eat the same things does do.

When do they eat? How much have you hunted the area?

Hunting pressure/human pressure makes bucks go nocturnal (most obvious reason).

This past week Monday. Wednesday.Firiday.saturday sunday, all afternoon hunts. Benn seeing 90-110 inch bucks just nothing in the 130 and up range im looking for this year. Like u guys said theyll start slipping up in the rut and maybe i am hunting it too much but the way i look at it is if your not there your not gonna get the big one....persistence will pay off.....thanks for comments...IA

gbrownlee 10-12-2009 09:08 AM

Is the corn still standing? Anytime I hunt around standing corn the big guys are always staying in it until dark. Once they cut the corn, you should start seeing more deer. Its amazing how many deer one corn field will hold!

IOWAWHITETAILS 10-12-2009 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by gbrownlee (Post 3470886)
Is the corn still standing? Anytime I hunt around standing corn the big guys are always staying in it until dark. Once they cut the corn, you should start seeing more deer. Its amazing how many deer one corn field will hold!

Yep the corn is still up....Im hunting the timber/outskirts that is between two corn fields...It's a funnel.....The bad thing about this is the farmer isnt picking till mid november! Which sucks....

GMMAT 10-12-2009 06:12 PM

Iowa....hard to beat a food source, bedding area (cover) and likely (troughs) water source all in one .........with a funnel.

I feel for you!

IOWAWHITETAILS 10-12-2009 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by GMMAT (Post 3471504)
I feel for you!

When the rut hits it's gonna be on GMMAT!!

WhitBri 10-13-2009 06:01 AM

The October lull has hit. I try to stay out for the stands right now as never see much for movement. Try and catch them early that first week of season and hang low hunt some non prime areas and try to kill my doe tag on a field edge. Then in about a week go back into my hot areas