Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Knowledgable truck guys.... >

Knowledgable truck guys....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Knowledgable truck guys....

Old 10-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Super G Force
I agree with the MAF sensor as a possibility. What engine does it have and is the check engine light on? The mass air flow sensors a lot of times will not set a trouble code/check engine light. The 5.3 and 6.0 liter engines have had problems with intake gaskets leaking vacuum as well. We see more problems cold than hot. When they are cold they leak more and run rough and wont idle well, then when they warm up they expand and seal again. If you have codes read somewhere see what they are and let me know, I can further assist you in the diagnosis. If it has a p0171 and p0174 it is an intake gasket leak. You will probably have p0300 missfire codes also. Let me know if you need more info. You can PM me if you want. Good luck.
I didnt read this before I posted but nice info.

To the op: If you wanna check this before taking it anywhere, you can have someone spray carb cleaner all around the seal of the intake, and if its leaking, you will probably be able to easily tell. In my experience with GM and intake leaks, I have been able to hear the leak, but yours may be small enough that its not whistling. But then again, your symptoms are pretty large, so Im not sure...

either way, you are probably off to a good start now. Just narrow it down.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you just need to sell it to me for 500 bucks
Old 10-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ha i bought it for 5000 but ill get a car computer from a friend of mine and check and see whats wrong....mainly the MAF...seems to be a constant..
Old 10-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by drockw
I believe its either the MAF, OR it could be your IAC Valve AKA: Idle Air Control Valve. It controls your air intake at idle, allowing your engine to consume just the right amount of air to keep it running smoothly.

being that the issue is only happening when you are not giving it gas, I would say almost 100% that it is air intake related, now you just have to figure out which part of the system it is. Not too complicated though.

Read up on the IAC and its location on the web, and see if you can find it on your truck. I imagine its on the bottom side of your throttle body(most are). You can either take it off and try and clean it up a bit, or tap on it lightly to see if you can free it up. Cleaning out your MAF may help as well.

Just try a few of these things BEFORE you go out and spend money on it

Derek
Good point about the IAC, I spaced that one out. I had a problem with the IAC in my wifes Mountaineer and it acted the same way, wouldnt idle very well and when it did it was very very low.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

Just a heads up, there is no IAC on this year of truck so don't worry about checking the IAC. The vacuum leaks on these engines can "not" be heard in my experience. You can spray carb clean or flamable brake clean around the front and rear of the intake. There is foam at the front and rear that make it hard to get the spray where it needs to be but it can be done. Need anymore help let me know.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Switch to higher premium fuel. Go with no alchohol. We have the same problem with small engines this time of the year. Youll see a big improvement.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Super G Force
Just a heads up, there is no IAC on this year of truck so don't worry about checking the IAC. The vacuum leaks on these engines can "not" be heard in my experience. You can spray carb clean or flamable brake clean around the front and rear of the intake. There is foam at the front and rear that make it hard to get the spray where it needs to be but it can be done. Need anymore help let me know.
Oh wow lol! guess I could've checked that one before i vomited out mis-information.

Thanks for the correction!
Old 10-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

as a ford tech i see plenty of iac problems and normally has nothing to do with temp, plus as stated that truck has no iac. I can say that i did just do intake gaskets on my own truck that is the exact same truck as yours for the same reason. also se this PLENTY on fords as well can now do them in my sleep, also you may not want to try to clean the maf as most of them if not already bad will be ruined by most carb cleaner and you will have multiple problems then.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

i didnt read any of the post but i would say it is the idle air control, or idle control whatever it is called on ur truck..if ya tap it with a screw driver a couple times it wwill usually activate it
Old 10-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by baileym62
as a ford tech i see plenty of iac problems and normally has nothing to do with temp, plus as stated that truck has no iac. I can say that i did just do intake gaskets on my own truck that is the exact same truck as yours for the same reason. also se this PLENTY on fords as well can now do them in my sleep, also you may not want to try to clean the maf as most of them if not already bad will be ruined by most carb cleaner and you will have multiple problems then.

Depending on what brand of carb clean or brake clean use the ones that say sensor safe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.