Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Holding at full draw >

Holding at full draw

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Holding at full draw

Old 10-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by hmthtrfan
me and some buds tested this earlier this year. I did 12.4 Minutes before i had to shoot.

I WOULD NEVER hold that long on an animal. I was shaking like Catherine Hepburn in a helicopter.
haha, i might have to try this
Old 10-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by blakefrautschi
haha, i might have to try this

dude, get you and your boys at the range, 1-2-3 draw, and see who wins.

its a blast.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Spike

How does it "feel" to you?

It does look a tad long for ya, looks like it might make your shoulder over rotate at full draw. The string itself should land more in front of your face, say for example should be able to "pucker" and just "kiss" that string.

The string is well beyond that point and your trigger adds a good 1.5" to 2" beyond that yet for your draw hand.

I'd shorten it a couple inches and try it, see how it feels. Maybe put a 1/2" back in it if needed.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Danr,
It just so happens I have my friends 28" draw length bow at my apartment.

It feels pretty darn good, nice and compressed. This seems to look a lot better.

Last edited by Big Z; 10-08-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Spike

Yea that looks like a better fit, could even go a little shorter yet if you felt the need.

Keep in mind using a correct fit and the shortest possible draw length while remaining comfortable, reduces the total space needed to operate the bow.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

me and some buds tested this earlier this year. I did 12.4 Minutes before i had to shoot.

I WOULD NEVER hold that long on an animal. I was shaking like Catherine Hepburn in a helicopter.
Now thats funny. I don't care who you are.

Hatchet jack
Old 10-09-2009, 03:48 AM
Typical Buck

Here's a little trick. If you get caught in a situation where your at full draw but can't let down for fear of spooking whatever it is you drew on. If you place your bottom cam on your thigh if your sitting, or against the top part of your climber, a tree limb in a hang on, etc. etc. it will give you some added relief and allow you to stay at full draw quite a bit longer. I like to shoot from a seated position in my hand ons and this little trick has saved me many a time. Try it.

Dan
Old 10-09-2009, 04:00 AM
Fork Horn

OMG! That made me laugh out loud!
Old 10-09-2009, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

if you can hold back for considerable time and be COMFORTABLE, i don't see an issue

as an aside, if my arm becomes fatigued or stressed, I drop my elbow down and can hold it until mr big buck walks through my shooting lane, without having to come out of full draw...just a tip for y'all
Old 10-09-2009, 06:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

take it from me...leave it there! i cranked mine up right before the season one year...i was shooting alot and shooting daily..i could draw with ease and hold back longer than needed...i was comfortable...a few weeks into the season it was cold...i was bundled up good...i was only sitting a few hours...i was only shooting a little bit..a few arrows here n there between hunts when i could..i stood up that morning to practice draw..and if i havent drawn my bow in a few days the first draw will make a creaking noise...what i found out was it took everything i had to get that bow back that morning...i got home and backed off and retuned...glad i did...

id say the DL in the 2nd pic looks much better...but, being its the season, changing draw length now could be a pain...if your shooting well like that, id leave it till after the season...you could end up in a night mare trying to retune or just getting used to shooting a different DL...just my thoughts though..i dont like to change anything once the season is near unless its something that needs to be changed...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.