Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How do I tell a good friend that he stole my spot? >

How do I tell a good friend that he stole my spot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do I tell a good friend that he stole my spot?

Old 10-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

if he's a good friend then you would of already chatted with him about it. Since you haven't I suspect you're not as close. Talk to him and explain the "unwritten rules". As a new hunter he may not realize he's been a real idiot.

What you can't do is dictate what he shoots. You don't own the game and only he can decide how to legally fill his tag.

Should of laid all this out before the intial invite.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

If he was your friend he would have talked to you before hunting that spot. So he's really not your friend.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's easier to find a new friend rather than a new hunting spot!
Old 10-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tell him if he keeps pissin ya off you'll sleep with his wife!
Old 10-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

You should have been up front with him right at the start that it is your private spot and he is not to go there without you. I think you screwed your spot up and getting the landowner involved may get everyone tossed out. Be careful in the future who you bring with you.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by phil_pick
Hey guys, I have a question that I need some help with.
I have a friend that owns some land that I have been hunting for the past 5 years. Well last year I asked a friend to hunt with me on that land to help him get his first deer. He did and shot a yearling doe.

Here is the problem, this fellow hunter also knows the land owner. So this year he went and asked the land owner if he and his friends can hunt the land as well. This really made me mad. I know that its not my land but I have worked hard on this land for 5 years and now he is just walking in and taking over. I know that he isn't intentionally taking my spot, he just doesn't have any private land to hunt on other than this so I feel bad for him, that's why I helped him last year.

Like I said, I am friends with the land owner and I am sure that if I asked her, she would tell the other guy to not hunt or at least not to harvest a buck. But I think I should just ask my friend ( the hunter) this myself. How do I ask him not take a buck and to not let his friends hunt the land without completely offending him? I need to be careful because he has never shot a buck so for me to ask him not to shoot his first buck, just so I can shoot it instead could really make him mad. Any ideas would really help cause I don't want to mess up a good friendship due to a deer.
Phil- I have 3 guys that hunt my land, We all hunt, they provide the $$$ I provide the land, but we all work it year round. From day one we have all put in writing what we wanted to achieve and a so called code of conduct. We believe this is really the only way to have everyone on the same page. You may let it pass this season, but talk alot with them about thing you want to do for next season and be very clear on how much time and $$$ it will be for everyone, this will do 1 of 2 things. First it will let them know your investment you have made and tell them how glad you are that they will be sharing the workload and expense. This brings up my second point it may scare them off, because they may not want to take on such a responsibility......
Old 10-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Spike

got to agree with most of the replys................he doesn't sound like a close friend cause he wouldn't do that to you if he were your close friend! be careful not to lose the 'right' to hunt on the property by getting the land owner to settle the 'deal' ........
Old 10-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

60 acres of corn/bean fields isnt that much, if you are rifle hunting, the bast way would be 1 blind with both of yall in it. if bow hunting, if yall were experienced the same it might not matter, but i can tell when the guy on the next property at my place is there cause more than usual animals come over on my area, so maybe your buddy will affect your hunt ..maybe you should show up 2 days befor he (your buddy) gets there, and stay while he hunts too..you know the property better than him, and he has your spot, so he prolly has the best spot on the place then?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's dirty pool right there. Friendship: over. If my friend did that to me, we would be DONE. Nothing lower in the hunting world IMO.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

Alright, what was wrong of the friend was not to hunt on the land, what I would be pissed off about would be his inviting more people onto the land than just himself. If it was just him, I would say sit down with the guy and explain to him your management plan, shoot only doe's, or what your antler restrictions are. I see no problem with that and shouldn't put any added stress on the relationship, in fact you might get some help with the management..and extra set of hands with the plots or hanging stands might come in handy.

Like I stated earlier, I would be more pissed at the invitation of his other friends...that you should talk to him about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.