Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

muzzy or rage?

Old 10-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Spike

I have been big fan of Muzzy's for years but when the Rage came out I figured I'd give them a shot. Last year I bought the Rage(3 blade) tried them and endend up sending them back in for the recall,(still didn't like the way they were opening) Needless to say I stuck with the Muzzy's. Just this year I picked up some of the Rage(2 blades), and here in NY I used my last years doe tag to take an early doe this year. To make a long story short they did an awsome job, hit the liver and gut, no blood and found it about about 80 yrds from where I shot her.. I think imma stick with the Rage.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Spike

NO WAY would i go to Rage

they are junk

they break or only open half way or not at all

i am always trying new broadheads
most mechanicals are junk - some good - some terrible

right now i am testing out some buddy of mine found out about
EPEKs - they are sweet broadhead - awesome concept
few problems but shoot great

then slick tricks and shuttles are my favorite fixed heads
Old 10-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Hoyt_Viper
The only marginal shot I would have to consider is shooting through mesh on my blind. I would not trust the mechanicals,although I agree with you about the Muzzy's and their deadly impact.

To me, a confident and ethical shot is always in the forefront of my shot, and I must admit Im torn between the Rage and Muzzy. I honestly dont trust my Muzzy for any more than a 20-30 yrd shot, while my rage I feel confident out to 40. You are free to comment on my style, but my track record shows that I am doing what I feel comfortable doing, and thats slaying deer.

I have tried to improve my longer shots with my Muzzy's and I am continuing to have to aim high and right for them to hit their mark at 30 or longer. I did change my arrows this year, and perhaps that has changed my tip weight slightly, but Im happy with how and when I shoot.
Please dont think Im picking at you, but your muzzy's will fly true out at further distances. You either have the wrong spine arrow or need to tune you bow a bit. Or both. Mechanicals are a quick fix for that, but not the best fix. Also, if you shoot further distances with a poor tuned bow, the arrow might hit where you want, but you could be sacrificing penetration. Ive shot bear glue ons, in the early 80s, thunderheads up till the 90s, then tried other heads. All flew perfect from my longbows, recurves, and the one compound I have. The secret is, tuned gear. But Im sure you already know that. I hope I dont appear to be talking down to you. If so, sorry.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Spike

not broke dont fix it
Old 10-09-2009, 05:36 PM
G92
Fork Horn

I use the rage,but if you like the muzzys i say stick witg em.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Spike

I just tagged my first deer with a rage and it broke two ribs on entry i shot high and back and broke one on exit also brought him down in 70 yards. Rage has the get your game garauntee which is great. I think the best thing about rage is that they have a huge entry whole and great penetration. If you get a chance take a look at the rage milkjug video on Youtube its sweet.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

I have two 100 gr 3 blade muzzys and two 2 blade rages in my quiver. I shoot the rages from the treestands and the muzzys from the mesh windows of my blinds. I shoot both plus my fps the same so I am good. I enjoy variety and so I have no problem with the set up. Muzzys and rages work great!
Old 10-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Spike

i shot mx3 couple of years ago and killed deer with it and but the year after i switched to 2 blade rage and the slick trick both 100 gr havem both in my quiver just in case i have to hunt out of a blind instead of a stand but anyways i like the blood trail that i get from the rage lots of blood to follow like the post above they work but they dont work magic
Old 10-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigbulls
I know that the Muzzy is not in this video but there are similar heads featured. Watch the video and you make the decision on which one you would want on the end of your arrow should you accidentally hit a shoulder blade of a big buck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-srIw3na0
This video looks to have been made back in 2007 when Rage was having some issues with their 3 Blade mechanicals. The problem with all blades deploying has since been corrected...its hard to find many people with issues since then. I hunted with Muzzy 100's for nearly 15 years, so I'm not biased. Made the switch last season, and couldn't be happier with the Rage. Tuning your bow properly is very important, especially with fixed blade broadheads. Mechanicals can help improve accuracy, but you need to shoot what you feel comfortable with. Trust me...I will be the first to let you all know if these Rage broadheads fail me.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

This video looks to have been made back in 2007 when Rage was having some issues with their 3 Blade mechanicals.
I didn't post the video to show blade deployment but rather durability of different styles of broadheads but If you don't like that one then look at this one from 2009 with a Rage 2 blade.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZRzBYuBIc4

Last edited by bigbulls; 10-14-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.