Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

muzzy or rage?

Old 10-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

BOTH,

I have two rages and two Muzzy's in my quiver. If I feel like its a closer shot and an awkward posture of the deer usually in my blind, I will use the bone smashing, cutter of the muzzy, but if its a broad side at 20, the Rage will leave a blood trail directly to him, minus a steak from the butchered meat.!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Muzzy is definately more durable, but I havent had a rage break in all of the shoulders ive put them into so...

Muzzy's are considerably cheaper and more fail proof though obviously...
Old 10-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Muzzy! They ARE bad to the bone.

I dont believe in mechanicals.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

So bigbulls you are implying that a 55 gallon metal drum has the same physical makeup as a bone, thus the shooting into a 55 gallon drum is a good way to demonstrate the ability to penetrate bone?
Old 10-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Fork Horn

I love my Muzzy's. Like some of you said, they are cheaper and do a hell of a job on a deer. They have never let me down. Pocket hits, non of my deer have gone farther than 100 yards, and have never had to wait to go get them. Muzzy's put them down, and for a hole lot cheaper. Hunting is getting expensive enough, I don't need my tip's to be also.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:10 AM
Fork Horn

I shot muzzies for a long time, now they share my quiver with tekans. Maybe you could use rage now and try them on a doe, then go to old faithful when the rut hits so you have the confidence in the field. Just make sure you have a enough KE to get the rage to penetrate. For the 2 blade I would want at least 65. You'll probably need a new quiver to because rage and foam dont mix from what I hear.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

So bigbulls you are implying that a 55 gallon metal drum has the same physical makeup as a bone, thus the shooting into a 55 gallon drum is a good way to demonstrate the ability to penetrate bone?
What I am implying is that this is an excelt test to demonstrate the durability of a broadheads ability to stay together on even the toughest of animals.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hoyt_Viper
BOTH,

I have two rages and two Muzzy's in my quiver. If I feel like its a closer shot and an awkward posture of the deer usually in my blind, I will use the bone smashing, cutter of the muzzy, but if its a broad side at 20, the Rage will leave a blood trail directly to him, minus a steak from the butchered meat.!
So you advocate switching arrows depending on the situation? What the hell kind of sense does that make?
Old 10-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

I took 5 deer with rages last season, and 1 so far this season. All complete pass thru's, and with no damage to the head or blades. I shoot 68# @ 29.5" draw, and add 25 grains with an Aftershock screw in weight.
I have shot deer with the Muzzy MX-3, 1 pass thru, and 2 partials, with the same bow setup.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

... which is good proof that obtaining pass-throughs is so much more than just what head you're using.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.