Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Beans?

Old 10-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Beans?

Ok so I have been hunting some over beans and I was wondering: do deer still like too eat beans that have already turned brown? I saw four does walk through a bean field the other night not even looking at the beans but this summer they were hittin the grean ones every night. So when they turn do the deer lose interest?
Old 10-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

Depends on what other food sources are available. But yes, they still hit those beans, as long as they aren't harvested.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

From everything we've seen, once the leaves turn from green to yellow, the deer stop eating them, for the most part, UNTIL after they are harvested and then they seem to like the left over bean seeds on the ground.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Howler
From everything we've seen, once the leaves turn from green to yellow, the deer stop eating them, for the most part, UNTIL after they are harvested and then they seem to like the left over bean seeds on the ground.
I agree. When i have hunted over beans in the evenings, i noticed they would graze on the left over beans. Seemed like they usually stuck around for quite a while too.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

around here they;ll be eating the beans still when they turn brown.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

seen a few in the bean fields last nite spotting....and they are browning out...
Old 10-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Went hunting in a new area tonight with all fields of corn and beans that have browned. Got a good vantage point to try to see where they were entering the fields for my hunt tomorrow night and saw a nice buck come out of the corn into the beans at 6:30 and feed on the beans the rest of the time i was there. Also on the way out saw 4 more bucks and 4 does all in the beans.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Spike

i've heard whena light frost hits them that they will get sweet and that is when they start eating them. Stupid I know, but thats what people have told me.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jsuth
i agree. When i have hunted over beans in the evenings, i noticed they would graze on the left over beans. Seemed like they usually stuck around for quite a while too.
x 3.......