Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Small car, how to transport a deer?? Help plz >

Small car, how to transport a deer?? Help plz

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Small car, how to transport a deer?? Help plz

Old 10-08-2009, 05:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Putting a deer in a trunk is doable, but one thing to be concern with is the care of the meat. Packing it in there could trap heat and cause the meat to begin to go bad. Rapid heat lose is key to great tasting game; the reason you see cleaned game with the legs proped open. I always pack the cavity with a bag of ice if it's on the warm side, lasts for days that way, kind of messy though.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fill some empty 2 liter pepsi or coke bottles with water and throw in the freezer. After being frozen, throw them in a cooler before leaving to go hunting. After getting a deer throw the 2 liters in the cavity before loading in to your trunk. Should keep the body cavity cold until returning home. Plus they are reusable!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do what I do ... put it ontop of the trunk/backglass ..... why hasn't ANYONE mentioned this?
Old 10-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

Someone already mentioned, but I'll say it again. I have a 2003 subaru legacy wagon. Became a pain in the ass last year after hoisting my 5th big doe into the back of the car. Couldnt afford to buy a pick up this year so..... I went online to JC Whitney and bought a bolt on 1 1/4 receiver, $89, then went to cabelas and bought a game carrier, $65, that slides right in to receiver. Already used it twice this year. Its the way to go!
Old 10-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do what I do ... put it ontop of the trunk/backglass ..... why hasn't ANYONE mentioned this?
because the thread starter specifically said he did not want to do this.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

i was on Quantico base today and a marine pulled a doe out of his back hatch of the camaro he was driving. He only had some trash bags, it was a small doe so it fit! I image if you got blood or other things, it may stink if you dont clean it out.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by HoytSpeed
i was on Quantico base today and a marine pulled a doe out of his back hatch of the camaro he was driving. He only had some trash bags, it was a small doe so it fit! I image if you got blood or other things, it may stink if you dont clean it out.

I've heard about the deer there, the glove box could be used as well.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Spike

Go to wally world and get 2 tarps stash em in your trunk and if you harvest one place one in trunk wrap deer in the other and your good to go! My dads truck had a flat one deer season so we took the backup a 1988 chevette we had 5 hunters and all our gear in it!!! NOt to mention a 8pt and a 7pt strapped on top!!!!! Got to get that picture posted so everyone gets a good laugh!!!!
Old 10-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Spike

Nodog cant wait to be able to quarter one and pack it out. Either im getting old or the deer getting bigger! Yhea id say your right about tagging one then too the way i take it is you call in or get on pc and they give you a number wich i would say you then write it on temporary tag and your good to go from there.