Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Changing Broadheads...!! How do people like Rage... >

Changing Broadheads...!! How do people like Rage...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Changing Broadheads...!! How do people like Rage...

Old 10-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

if you hit a deer perfect they are great but if you hit shoulder they dont pentrate worth a damn! i had a friend who shot one at a buck and hit him square in the front shoulder, the arrow practically bounced off and broke the tip off of it...i love my muzzys MX-3s and Grim reaper razortips...i would not pay the money for the rages cuz your not gonna hit a deer perfect every time...i wanna feel confident that my broadhead is gonna penetrate and get vitals even if it has to handle a little bone now and then! but do what you want....
I like my grim reapes but they wont go thru a shoulder blade....
I hit one in the shoulder the other nite 5 1/2 inches deep...Grim Reaper 70#" 69.5 KE Thats twice in the last 2 years...
Old 10-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

This always gets to me when people say "Look at the size of the exit hole the rage left"...Why does that matter? A well placed P.O.S head will kill a deer within 40-80 yards, just like a rage, a slick trick, muzzy etc etc. My friend uses these rages I use muzzy...those rages leave no better blood trail than a muzzy IMO.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

grim reaper razor tips have greater penetration and will makem fall just as fast IMO..cant really go wrong with rage tho
Old 10-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

My two cents...like most broadheads now they are over priced. 10 to 15 dollars a head is getting crazy. I got the two blades and was going to use them for turkeys but ended up trying one a doe. Well, I hit just a little back and hit the liver. I had to take up the tracking job the next morning. Three hours latter after getting on my hands and knees at times I found the doe....unfortunately the coyotes found it first. So whats this tell us....That a marginal hit will not somehow turn into a great shot. I will be shooting my trusty Muzzys as I have for many years. They never once let me down when I do my part.....just like the rage or any other head will. I like the fact I get 6 Muzzys for the price of 3 Rages. So....if you just want to try something different, yet over priced, go for it. They will not work magic but they will work.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by blindluck
if you hit a deer perfect they are great but if you hit shoulder they dont pentrate worth a damn! i had a friend who shot one at a buck and hit him square in the front shoulder, the arrow practically bounced off and broke the tip off of it...i love my muzzys MX-3s and Grim reaper razortips...i would not pay the money for the rages cuz your not gonna hit a deer perfect every time...i wanna feel confident that my broadhead is gonna penetrate and get vitals even if it has to handle a little bone now and then! but do what you want....
Ive went thru 3 shoulders so far this season with the 2 blade with ease...

Anyways, I like em and they work well. I dont know anyone personally who has ever had a single issue with them... But there are tons here on the web that have for some reason
Old 10-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Spike

I've played with so many different broadheads I would need two posts to list em all. I've never shot anything bigger then a deer, but I've hit good and bad with fixed blade, cut-on-contact fixed, cut-on-contact mechanicals, and regular mechanicals.

The non-scientific results are that I can acheive excellent penetration with any head if I connect with the vital area and nothing more then a rib bone.

But if you want to feel confident that you're going to have a good blood trail then put 100% of the KE you generate into punching through the deer no matter where you hit it, and the only way to do that IMO is with a cut-on-contact fixed blade broadhead.

That being said I also spend an unbelievable amount of time making sure my bow is tuned to perfection, because when you shoot fixed blades you will see more flight varience then you will with mechanicals. So the trade off IMO is that mechanicals will allow you to place the shot more accurately with less range time then will a fixed head.

Personally if some of these new heads didn't cost so dang much I'd be playing with them too, but try a lot and make your own mind up on how they perform for you.

The pro at my shop in NW Ill used a Rage when they first came out and said he hit a nice buck and the head never opened ? Not sure how he knew that but he wasn't in any mood to discuss it further - he was equipping all his arrows with fixed blades.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

I was just thinking how there seems to be less Rage threads this year, and how nice it was. So much for that.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

If your puting out alot of KE, they are great. For my setup at 58 pounds, not so good. I shot a doe last year and made a perfect shot, The blood trail was non existent at first, until the arrow fell out of the hole. The broadhead stopped on the far side of the deer, just under the skin. The shot was a little high, but the downward angle was steep. With a fixed blade, i would have had a passthrough easily
Old 10-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont like them, my dad used them last year. His were always opening up before they would hit. I too used them last year, had a quartering away shot not even that steep, and the broadhead slid across the deer instead of entering. I dont like them.

I switched to the G5 strikers this year. I like the idea of a fixed blade.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

im trying the rage 40ke and if they dont work im going with g5 montecs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.