Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
New bow hunter needing advice on shooting >

New bow hunter needing advice on shooting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New bow hunter needing advice on shooting

Old 10-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Spike

Default New bow hunter needing advice on shooting

I'm new to the bow shooting/hunting scene. I've shot for a few years at taegets and have been decent. In the off season I began preparing for this years bow season so I could hunt with a bow for the first time. My uncle worked with me on my form and I have gained confidence that I can make the shot when the time comes. I have one problem, at 20 and 30 yards, I'm dead on with two-three inch groups BUT when I step out to 35-40 yards I'm still shooting a three-inch group but I'm shooting about four inches to the right. Any suggestions? Equipment or form?
Old 10-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Could be form or another shooter error.

Try walk-back tuning. Your centershot could be a little off, rest may need to be moved just a hair to the left.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

i would try and stay in your comfort zone (20-30).being a new hunter you will be more confident taking a shot that you no you can make.i have been bowhunting for 26 years and i still try to not take shots over 30 yards.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by joejr69
i would try and stay in your comfort zone (20-30).being a new hunter you will be more confident taking a shot that you no you can make.i have been bowhunting for 26 years and i still try to not take shots over 30 yards.
i completely agree if your shooting good at 20 & 30 the rest is history im a 15 yr bowhunning vet. & ive killed alot of animals & none ever further than 25 yrds u have nothing to prove 2 anyone
Old 10-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Spike

you want that deer within 20 yards trust me! it makes the experience that much better and you'll want him that close when buck fever kicks you in the butt!
Old 10-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

to me it sounds like your griping the bow too hard... let the bow rest in your hand, dont grip it. if you grab the bow it ends up torquing it and it shows at greater distances.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

IMO, as with either a gun or a bow, the further away from the target you are the more off you will be. It may be off now, but your shooting close enough that your not noticing it. A 2 to 3 in group at 20 to 30 yards could be a 4 to 6 inch group at 40 yards. IMO once you get your bow to shoot strait at 35 to 40 yards then all you will have to worry about is adjusting up and down for how far away you are. But like a couple of people have said, only shoot at deer at what you have practiced at, and have become proficient at. You don't want to take a pot shot and wound one and loose it.. Practice over and over is the best thing you can do.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

I dont feel a bit guilty at shooting at 20 yrds. This is actually a litle farther than I would like. 15 yrs is a grand slam, but as you go out to 30 and 40 you are adding a grouping of 3-4 inches and its hard to put it in the boiler room at that distance, especially when you cant get the deer to posture so you you can get in behind the shoulder.

Wory about the 20's and 25's even 30's but dont even try to take a shot unless he is broad side and has a Sharpie with a circle drawn on his vitals.

Get a blind and como it, get in a tree, and you will find that your shots are less than 20 yrds.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree lettin the bow rest against the palm of your hand with fingers open kinda, not holdin it and most control comes from my draw hand
Old 10-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Spike

Not sure but you could also be looking around your sight. When you start to shoot at distances over 35yrds you will start to blot out the target with your pin.

For some people (myself included) I would tend to ease my sight off the target until I could see it and then let r fly. I am right handed and with pins coming from my right to left the only way I could see the aim point was to move the sight off the spot to the right - hence I would end up shooting to the right.

If you're not sure whether this is your problem or not, simply move the sight pin to your right a little and see if that doesn't correct the problem. If you looked at my pins they are not perfectly vertical. Each pin after 30 yrds is off center to the right to allow me to see the aim point and not leave the shot to the right.

I do agree with most of the previous posts though. While it's fun and a great confidence boost to loose a broadhead and bullseye a target at 40+ yards - I've never shot over 30 yrds at an animal. And I used to practice with broadheads out to 70 yards cause I knew if I could clean the smiley on a Stanley & Hips at 70yrds with a fixed blade head consistently then a 20-30 yrds was a chip-in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.