Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Field tips to Thunderhead Broadheads Question????? >

Field tips to Thunderhead Broadheads Question?????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Field tips to Thunderhead Broadheads Question?????

Old 10-07-2009, 06:01 AM
Spike

Default Field tips to Thunderhead Broadheads Question?????

It seems like every year I have the same problem. I shoot field tips off season drilling what I want and when the time comes, I will get a broadhead out just to make sure I'm still on. Inevitably, the broadheads shoot lower. I try to line up the blades with the fletching, but it's not always possible. I end up messing with my sight or compensating a little. I kill deer each year, but it seems like I have to start from scratch when I switch to broadheads. Do you have the same problem and what do you do?
Old 10-07-2009, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is no need to line up your fletchings with the blades, this is a myth. Broadhead tune your bow. You say bhs are hitting lower? Move your rest up in small increments and eventually bhs and fp should group together. This will work assuming you are using proper spined arrows and you dont have any clearance issues.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

I had a similar problem two years ago where my thunderheads were shooting low and left about 4 inches at 20 yards. After several hours trying to tune to my broadheads, I finally fixed the problem. I went to stiffer spined arrows (Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 350s) and also went to a drop away rest. Not sure which fixed the problem but now my Thunderheads and field points hit pretty consistantly.

Be sure your field points and Thunderheads are the same weight but this is probably not the issue.

Good Luck

Last edited by W9ARcher; 10-07-2009 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tune your bow to the broadhead as mentioned...

If they line up left to right but shoot a little low, I'd start with moving the nock down about 1/32 of an inch...I've done this to my setup and now they both fly the same...
Old 10-07-2009, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup. Its a tuning issue. Download a copy of Easton's Tuning Guide and check out the section on broadhead tuning. It tells you exactly what to do depending on where your broadheads hit in relation to field points.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

I have to ask, are you shooting the same weight field tips and broad heads???
Old 10-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot 100 gr. Thudnerhead broadheads... I usually have to adjust my sight a little bit for the broadheads but after that, not a problem....that was with a prong rest...wonder how it'll be with the Whisker Biscuit this year though...
Old 10-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never been concerned with my broadheads landing where my field points land. I never saw the need nor understood why it is necessary. ?? I sighted in my broadheads and then saw where my field points landed. If my fp's landed low and the to the left 3", I just made note of that and still practiced.

If you want them to land in the same spot, that's your prerogative and good luck with that.

iSnipe
Old 10-08-2009, 12:07 AM
Spike

In my opinion if your broadhead and field points are not grouping you bow is not tuned properly, your speed is to high for a fixed blade broadhead or your form is not right, tying to see where the broadhead goes after the shot.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

In my view they are not the same and therefore should act differently. Making them hit the same maybe a compromise for both, neither being at their best. Things can change the result like mentioned (a stiffer arrow) could do it if you want to spend the bucks.

It could be a tuning issue and you could get better flight if it's fixed. I shoot TH's and they fly flatter and farther than my points. The head does do some steering. The weight of the fletching also has an effect. If it's light the head will drop faster. If it's a good balance the arrow should just zip along on a good level path.

They claim those groves in the ferrule have a steering effect. I think they're right.

Could also be something wrong with the bow. I just replaced a cam that was going bad and things have improved. Started noticing a little vibration at the top of the bow like a lose screw. When I couldn't find anything loose I took of the cam and found the sealed ball bearings were starting to fail. It was very hard to tell it was bad while on the bow and only showed up when the TH started telling me something wasn't right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.