Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
A little run-down of my Season thus far... >

A little run-down of my Season thus far...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A little run-down of my Season thus far...

Old 10-07-2009, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default A little run-down of my Season thus far...

You don't have to read this if you don't want to, there is no big announcement of a BBD at the end; simply put this just a story about myself and how I have progressed as a deer hunter over the past 6 seasons.

This year I find myself being much more cautious when entering the woods, being very careful to look before taking that first step; too many times have I kicked up deer stomping through the woods on my way to the stand. Also not hunting the same stand too much and always checking the wind direction and weather. If its not going to be worth it; why risk blowing a perfect stand location for 6 hours of seeing nothing but tree rats. I love to hunt though have been pretty lucky thus far to be able to go out whenever I feel like it.

Passing on deer! Something that has been a real burden this year as already I have had 2 bucks saying shoot me shoot me while munching acorns less than 20 yds from me. I did not though and simply enjoyed watching them and learning their habits. Such as the 1.5 yr old 4 point that was just plain curious at the doe bleats I called him in on(twice) to the 2.5 yr old messed up rack who I have on trail-cam picking fights with everyone; guess how I got him to come in? I rattled him in and he stuck around long enough to eat some acorns and put his nose in some c-mere deer and then promptly exit. 3 hours of sitting for 5 min. of action; some people I know would say that was a waste of time; I say it was completely worth it I would rather spend 3 hours in a stand and not see anything than 3 hours on a couch watching nothing! I'm learning; I am not using scents as much; I cover my trail to the stand and that is about it; no scent wicks, buck bombs, or anything else you can think of spending money at Bass Pro for; I've discovered too much scent is just as bad as farting in the stand. Same goes for calling, I've had the pleasure of hearing deer grunt and bleat maybe 5 times in the past 6 seasons which says something about how quiet and cautious the deer are; think maybe I should mimic that instead of causing a bunch of ruckus from the time I sit to the time I climb down. Don't get me wrong I will every hour or so throw out a I want some company bleat or grunt but for the most part I sit and enjoy God's creation around me. Its comforting being alone and quiet and if only for that reason did I hunt, I would still be out there.

I've started wearing safety harnesses! In every stand I have one. Seems silly not to, I'm getting older and have always been clumsy. I'm an accident waiting to happen, so even if you are not clumsy, wear a safety harness and if you think it will get in your way when you shoot, practice with one on; I did and it helped tremendously.

My group of hunting buddies has grown, from what started as my Pastor and Myself enjoying the outdoors has grown to an outreach within our church. My brother bought his first bow last year and is still after his first deer; actually so is my Pastor. Both have come so close but were unable to seal the deal; placing poor shots has caused them to practice, practice, practice, and meticulously tune their bows. I'm sure they will both put one on the ground this season; and I plan on helping them. Just the other night I was sitting in a buddy stand with my bro and we had 4 different deer come up to us. We passed on a button buck, but kept our eye on a 4 point with a nice body. The deer that broke our hearts was a big doe that came right up to the ladder stand we were in then turned and walked away; unaware of our presence; when she was about 15-20 yds away and I was sure of clear shooting lane, I did the mouth grunt/bleat thing; she was quartering away, she stopped, looked back...thwap! my brother shoots and hits her shoulder blade; I was really hoping he may have gotten a lung; but he didn't. 20ft into the woods I found the broken arrow that was sticking out of her and then only a few feet of blood before it went cold. She will survive that wound and so will my brother because two days later we were sitting in the same stand watching a doe and two fawns feed and play; none offered us a shot but it was a huge success; at least for me.

So I'll end with that, from starting hunting to now, I judge success not by the amount of meat I put in the freezer or bone I put on the wall, but simply wanting to better myself not only in the woods but everywhere. If I can sit with patience and knowledge to have a whitetail deer within 5, 10, 15 yds and he ore she has no idea I am there, I consider that a success; even more if I have the self-control to let the young deer walk hoping he will be given the same opportunity from other hunters to come to his full potential, I consider that a success! Most of all, just being outdoors, I consider it a privilege, one I plan on taking advantage of for many years to come.

Good Luck this season, and God Bless!
Old 10-07-2009, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

Thats the beauty of hunting-there is always something to learn. Just when you think you have it all figured out the whitetail has a way of showing you that you dont. My beginning years of hunting were a nightmare-not seeing deer, missed shots,wounded animals, etc. But i learned from all those mistakes and every time out now i find myself goin back in my hunting memory bank and benefiting from those past mistakes. Many a bowhunter gives up under failure, but the really great hunter takes that failure and turns it into determination. Remember the whitetail education process never ends- to me personally im thankful it doesnt!! Good luck this year to you and your hunting partners!!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

well thought and well said!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great post. Got me thinking myself.