Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Need help, out of ideas >

Need help, out of ideas

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need help, out of ideas

Old 10-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Spike

Default Need help, out of ideas

Well our PA bow season opened up and I saw a huge buck on the first night! Had him at 19 yards and it was to dark to see my pins! So I decided to buy a new sight with a light and bought the tru glo brite sight extreme. Today I replaced my old 5 pin tru glo with this new one and went to shoot. I shot all 5 pins in out to 55 yards and they shot perfect (with field tips). I decided to shoot the grim reaper broadheads I bought with them just to make sure we were good there and they flew low and to the left! I had always used Blazer vanes and grim reapers on my easton st epic 400s for the past 3 years and never had a problem. So I figured the problem had to be with the new NAP quickfletches I tried but negative! I went to the local bowshop and got 3 new arrows with blazers. Tried them with my grim reapers (the same setup that has always worked perfect for me) and it still had the same problem. I checked my whisker biscuit and everything on the bow for problems and cannot find a thing and I dont think that a new sight would change how the arrows fly... What do you think!!!????
Old 10-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

arrow flight aside, i don't know about switching sights completely during season, you have to practice with them now, which may affect you, put some more time in with him, but simply seeing him and not being able to see your pins prompting you to buy a while new sight makes me nervous
Old 10-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Spike

oh hell i put basically the same sight right back on with the pins right in the same spot. I barely even had to move it, just left and right, to be right back on to where I was before. With field tips at least. Now I just need to solve this damn broadhead problem.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Could be the sight, the sight window may be a different diameter, different angle, different offset, so you are doing something to compinsate that difference and its throwing your arrows off? Have you tried adjusting your new sight...follow your arrow?
Old 10-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Spike

well i have but just to put the pins right on with my field tips. the broadheads used to always fly right with my field tips but today they arent. im just trying to figure out why they arent.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, if I can't see my pins I know that it's probably past legal shooting time, but that's just me.

As to your Reapers impacting differently, do you have an arrow spinner? I never, EVER practice with Grim Reapers. While I trust them implicitly, there are a lot of parts to them, and repeated impact will damage them eventually.

First off, my bow is tuned to shoot fixed blad heads - G5 Montecs to be exact. Then I practice with field points until I'm confident. When I put my Grim Reapers on I'm going hunting. I use my spinner to make SURE that they are spinning true - no wobble in the point AT ALL. Then I am 100 percent sure they will hit where I'm aiming. You may just need to make sure they are spinning true. Just changing your sight isn't going to change your bow tuning.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Spike

To have your broadheads fly exactly like your field tips is rare. I know you say that they did before but I always adjust my sights for broadheads every year cuz they are what you should be practicing with anyway. Just sight them in on a broadhead target and get comfortable with them shooting the way they do. Did you have your bow paper tuned?
Old 10-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Spike

well i guess what i would do though it sounds like a simple fix is go out and destroy a target with my broadheads and adjust my sight accordingly until you get it perfect then after the season you could go to the pro shop and get it figured out just go with the quick fix get it so you are deadly and get it all fixed later. the only problem i see is that you are in season right now and wasting time finding new set ups and new sights poor time to switch but if its what you have too do then i wish you good luck
Old 10-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Spike

Alrighty thanks. Ill try getting it tuned tomorrow or something if the local bowshop does it. If not ill sight in for the broadheads I guess = /
Old 10-07-2009, 04:42 AM
Spike

Before you run off to the bowshop, move your whisker biscuit about 1/16 to the right or maybe a little more depending upon how far you are hitting to the left and see what happens. This might bring your broadheads to your fieldpoints without changing your fieldpoints enough to matter. This is what i did and it worked when i had your same problem. For some reason this one adjustment also fixed the up and down on the shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.