Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Chasing already?  What do you think? >

Chasing already? What do you think?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Chasing already? What do you think?

Old 10-06-2009, 11:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Probably just those young bucks learning about their hormones. However, last year was one of the worst years I had for seeing any bucks, big or small. This year has been one of my best years for seeing them. I have seen a ton of small ones already and 3-4 in the 110"-120" class. None of which I would shoot. Over the course of the summer I had seen 3-4 bucks going between 120"-130" that I might shoot, and 7-8 bucks that would go between 130"-180" that I would definitely shoot. These are on two different properties I hunt on. So far I haven't seen any of the bigger boys while on stand yet. Thursday I will be hunting a ridge that is smothered with large oaks. Hoping to catch one of the big boys looking for acorns as he strolls on by.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

It seems that the bucks here in iowa have started chasing the does around. I got to my spot one night and I saw 7 does run accross the hay field with two bucks right behind them. Several other nights I would see smaller bucks chasing the does around.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I watched a spike chase a doe opening evening, now they could have just been playing. Then a couple weeks ago i watched a little 5 pt chase and grunt at a doe. Their young bucks, i think it just how they "act".
Old 10-07-2009, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

Havent seen much chasing here in Va just yet. should kick in about another three weeks or so.. normally anyways

Last edited by BvrHunter; 10-07-2009 at 05:34 AM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 10-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

A few years back I had the privilege to talk to Charley Alscheimer and that subject came up do to my observations that year and he said it was very possible a temperature change to cooler air and the fact that the doe i was watching was very old ,could very well come in to estrus as early as the first or second week of October.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by nysmoker
A few years back I had the privilege to talk to Charley Alscheimer and that subject came up do to my observations that year and he said it was very possible a temperature change to cooler air and the fact that the doe i was watching was very old ,could very well come in to estrus as early as the first or second week of October.

Well there is an arctic airmass gripping the Midwest right now.....
Old 10-08-2009, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tom Indrebo, owner of Bluff Country Outfitters in WI, has written quite a bit in recent years on this "early rut" as he calls it. He's been watching activity for years to try and prove that there are a number of does that do come into estrous right around this time, or usually 1 full moon before the typical "rutting moon." Just like human females, some women's cycles are messed up and don't follow the regular pattern.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Chances are Chief It's a 1.5 year old buck being stupid thinking he's going to get some. But I have heard that old doe's will come Into estrus 1st before the other ones do.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

You fellas are probably right, but it is a bit unusual to see a big, mature doe running alone around here. Still, it could just be that a hunter nearby arrowed her fawn. I don't know, but I sure am seeing bucks so I'm not complaining.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Spike

I shot a doe on opening weekend and she came in with her 3 other deer, 2 of which were fawns for sure and I didn't get a good look at the other one.

There is definitely a lot of activity going on where I hunt here in the NE in Mahoning County....a lot of scrapes and rubs, a bunch of movement. Everyone around thinks the rut will be in early, based on all the cold weather we have been experiencing...especially once this Canadian cold air front moves in and hangs around for a little while, it might get more does in early estrus

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.