HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Already Bucked Out (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/306005-already-bucked-out.html)

Shootem up870 10-06-2009 08:29 AM

Already Bucked Out

2 Attachment(s)
I'll start this off with, what an amazing hunt I got into on Friday evening. I was off work at 3:30 and rushed home to get my scent free shower. I climbed into my stand around 4:30. This hunt I knew was going to be interesting. I hunt in Central IL and it was drizzley with gusts of wind here and there. Occasionally a shower would hit me. At 5:00pm, I saw a nice doe come by but she didn't offer me a shot. She was looking behind her and a small buck popped out. He was only a 6 so I passed a 30yd shot on him. 5:30 I see deer bolting across the field. Once they get into my view I make out 2 mature does and 3 fawns playing out in front of me. Eventually they wonder off in front of one of my old stands. 5:55 I hear a "crack" from behind me. I immediately rose to my feet and grabbed my bow, trigger already on the string. Out comes a ten pointer about 20 yards away when I first get a clear look at him. He was on a mission and never stopped. I drew back as he neared my 30yd shooting lane I had. As soon as he popped in I gave a little grunt and he froze. I settled in and drilled him. Knowing I made a good hit, I texted my dad telling him I was going to need help dragging a deer. I was waiting 30minutes to get down to track him. At 6:15 yet again from the exact same place I hear another "crack" I rose to my feet and before I had my bow I see a little four pointer on the same trail as the 10. About 6 or 7 yards behind him I see antlers again. I grabbed my bow and as the buck is starting to get visible I can see he is big, and bigger than the first at that. I was shaking out of control now. He proceeded to stop in the exact same spot as the 10 when I gave him a grunt. I rushed my shot and hit him low (thinking I had missed him all together). I was cursing at myself. I waited 10minutes and got down to look for blood from the first 10. I retrieved my arrow from the 2nd shot. I couldnt see any blood, but I could see where the deer had taken off running and plowing through the woods. I started walking in that direction and the bigger buck jumps up 30 yards away. I slowly went down to my knees as he proceeded to give me an open shot. I gave him one more grunt and he stopped. I talked myself into taking my time and this time I drilled him. Knowing I made a good hit I called my dad and friends immediately. The 12pt only ran 40yds and crashed. The 10 ran about a 100. By the time it was all said and done it was 12:30 in the morning wen I got back to my house, deer hung next to eachother. That was a hunt I'll never forget.

Attached are the photos (I forgot my bow in the rush :/ ) and These are my first bow bucks, as I have always wanted to kill something big first. The 10 is already at the taxidermist and the 12 is having a skull mount done.

blindluck 10-06-2009 08:32 AM

man thats an awesome hunt and NO you will never forget that hunt! great job brother

Canuck33 10-06-2009 08:34 AM

Holy moly, now that will end a season nicely, congrats

DUMB BASS 10-06-2009 08:38 AM

Way to go!!! Are you gearing up for waterfowl now??? LOL

bowfly 10-06-2009 08:41 AM

damn son, great work on two fronts!!!

Shootem up870 10-06-2009 08:43 AM

lol already geared up with the exception of shells. but yes and no, I still will have to kill at least 4 does hopefully I can get them out of the way by the end of the month. but I've got a lot of cleaning to do still since we process our own deer. and working 30-40hrs a week mite limit how much hunting ill get the next two weeks, with the addition of full time school at that!

HuntingBry 10-06-2009 08:47 AM

That is a hunt of a lifetime. Congrats. You should've gone out an bought a lottery ticket too. That was your lucky night.:s4:

PastorJim08 10-06-2009 08:53 AM

Way to go on those bucks. I hope you get many more and enjoy them all just as much.

Blessings.....Pastorjim

nybowhunter 10-06-2009 09:45 AM

Way to go. Lucky to get one of those a season let alone 2 in a day. I hope you played the lottery that day too! Congrats!

BowHunter28 10-06-2009 09:49 AM

wow congratulations on two nice bucks, are u gonna get one or both of them mounted? If so i hope you have plenty of money saved up for the bill. :happy0157: