Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bummer man!

Old 10-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bummer man!

This morning was one of those mornings all bowhunters live for, clear, completely calm, and about 40 degrees. I had been in the stand for about an hour when 5 does approached my stand. One gave me a broadside, quartering away shot at about twenty yards. I released and I heard a loud crack as I saw the lighted nock hit the deer right behind the shoulder. She, and the others, spun around and left the way they came. I waited forty minutes and got down to begin tracking. No blood, no arrow, no hair, no nothing! I searched for over three hours and all I ever found were two little pieces of flesh at the point of impact, nothing else. I searched in grid fashion and came up with nothing. I went the direction the deer ran and still nothing. I think the loud crack sound I heard might have been the arrow hitting the off shoulder but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 10-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

How much penetration did the arrow get?
Old 10-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know, I couldn't find the arrow and all I could see was the arrow hitting the deer right behind the shoulder.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 10-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

With your description I would suspect a shoulder hit but with that being said on most shoulder hits you find the arrow pretty quick. You didn't find it, rt? Were you shooting a fixed or mechanical head? Do you have access to a trained tracking dog?

Dan
Old 10-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mfd1027
With your description I would suspect a shoulder hit but with that being said on most shoulder hits you find the arrow pretty quick. You didn't find it, rt? Were you shooting a fixed or mechanical head? Do you have access to a trained tracking dog?

Dan

I didn't find the arrow and I'm shooting a fixed blade Slick-Trick Magnum. I don't have access to a tracking dog. Thank you for your thoughts.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 10-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

Had the same thing happen to me sunday morning the 4th doe comes in at 15 yard broadside a little quatering to and let it fly and crack deer runs off to the west lighted nock shinin out her left side. Very much like your story but I found my arrow broken off about 30 yards from point of impact. Meat on end of arrow not much blood few drops here and there eventiually she quit bleeding and then it was time to start circling the area. Hated to give up on her but after about 3 hrs. it was time to get back in the stand.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

unfortunate stories on two fronts, sorry it didn't work out guys...I would suggest waiting 8 hours or so, maybe see if she would stiffen up, but very strange you didn't find any arrow
Old 10-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same thing happend to me last year on a 8 pointer. I heard the hit and the deer took off with the arrow still in him. Never found the arrow but I did have a very light blood trail off and on about 2 miles then it quit. I searched half the day for him.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear that Jim. It sounds like a shoulder shot. I had this happen last year, no blood at all, but fortunate for me the neighbors dog started barking, I went to look for the dog, and he was at the deer.