Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Where to hang Thermocell >

Where to hang Thermocell

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where to hang Thermocell

Old 07-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by wetpwdr53
I bought a thermocell last year. Unless I'm doing something wrong, I was not at all impressed. To test it out, I sat outside one night when mosquitoes were thick. Some of them actually landed on the Thermocell (and me)
Just curious..did you give it 20-30 minutes to work like it says in the directions. I work at Cabelas and have had some people return them saying they don't work and when you ask how long they had it on they'll say 5 minutes. I've had to explain that it takes a while for the hot plate to get that pad hot enough to start working

Don
Old 07-14-2010, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by wetpwdr53
I bought a thermocell last year. Unless I'm doing something wrong, I was not at all impressed. To test it out, I sat outside one night when mosquitoes were thick. Some of them actually landed on the Thermocell (and me)
Was it windy? I have noticed that even a slight breez will lower the effectivness but the directions tell you about this.and it takes a good 30 min. to get good results.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have the holster for it. I either strap it to a branch on the tree, or just stick it in the crotch of the tree if there is one close enough. I have also just left it strapped to my back pack.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Those who said it didn't work..I'm surprized. I actually timed the unit ..when it's too hot to touch..she 's workin..It took mine about 8 minutes to get that hot...but usualy I'm good at 5 full minutes..I will turn mine on about 5 minutes before arriving..

Reasons why it might not be working..

A, The burn pad may be burnt out and ya need to change it..

B, you need to be able to see the little blue /orange flame ..otherwise your unit may not have turned on..I did that once..I thought it was on and it wasn't

C. out of gas..

I hunt in the Florida swamps..we ahve tons of mosquitoes here..I don't get one mosquito buzz after the unit is on for 8 minutes..they all disappear.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 07-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Spike

You might want to look at Sportsmansguide they have big refill packs 4 cartidges and 12 mats for 19.97 and even have the new Earth scent
Old 07-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I won't hunt without mine. I Lay it flat and keep it back towards the tree with my pack I love it. It works great.

Ryan
Old 07-20-2010, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually lay it on the platform of my climber back near the tree. I just ordered a camo holster for about $9 from bowhunterssupplystore.com though. They have the plain green one for about a dollar more, go figure.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

I have a mini bungie strap and tie it to the my platform. let the vapors (that are unscented of course) rise up around u. if u set it too high, your not getting the full effect of the product. IMO