Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Treestand broke while I was in it  (Pictures added) >

Treestand broke while I was in it (Pictures added)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestand broke while I was in it (Pictures added)

Old 10-02-2009, 02:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Post Treestand broke while I was in it (Pictures added)

Opening morning of Indiana's bow season broke frosty and cold, one of the best opening days, weather-wise, I can remember. In stand about two hours when I heard a loud pop and felt the earth moved under my feet. A cable had broken on my treestand. I hadn't worn a safty vest for years until about two years ago, when, at my wife's insistance, I began wearing an HSS vest. Since, I have never hunted without it. Glad I had it on that morning. You can be careful, as I always was, but you can't do anything about equipment failure which is sudden and without warning. Evening hunt produced a sighting of a deer that I have been getting pictures of all summer that I call the magnum 8. I saw him in his bed for over an hour in the evening until he finally got up and walked off in the opposite direction. Now that I know where he is bedding, I will try to devise a strategy that will give him a ride in the back of my truck in the very near future. Here is a picture of him from this summer.

Blessings.....Pastorjim

Here are the pics of the broken stand that some of you requested. Sorry it took me so long. By the way, I did email Gorilla about this problem on Friday and today the contacted me with an offer to replace the cables. They said the cables should be replaced every 2-3 years depending on use. This stand was four yrs old and I really would expect longer use out of it before a failure like this.

This is the other side that didn't break but looks about ready to.

Everyone, please inspect every part of your equipment every year before you use it. I was lucky this time but it could have been a lot different.

Blessings.....Pastorjim

Last edited by PastorJim08; 10-05-2009 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Pictures added
Old 10-02-2009, 02:58 AM
Fork Horn

Wow, that would be scary. Certainly underlines the importance of wearing some type of safety harness. Glad to hear you're ok.

Sounds like a fun encounter with magnum! Good luck with him and the rest of your season!
Old 10-02-2009, 03:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's why we wear a harness...Glad you weren't hurt...

What brand stand was it??? How old???
Old 10-02-2009, 03:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

The treestand was a Gorilla, the really large one, which I had purchased at Walmart exactly four years ago. I will be more carefull about inspecting them before I hang them in the future.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 10-02-2009, 03:26 AM
Fork Horn

Glad to hear you had a safety strap on, years ago before safety staps came out I had a stand fail with me and I'm pretty sure I hit the ground before it did.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:47 AM
Typical Buck

Glad to hear that nothing bad happened when the cable broke and you are fine. you are right, you never know when something is going to break, glad you were wearing your vest.

Is your buck winking for the camera?!?! Good to see a brusier here in Indiana, hopefully I can see something close to that this weekend.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, do you have any pictures of the stand? I'm suprised how calm you seem about it, I'd be freaking out for sure!!

Glad your alright however.

Ryan.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by PastorJim08
The treestand was a Gorilla, the really large one, which I had purchased at Walmart exactly four years ago. I will be more carefull about inspecting them before I hang them in the future.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Glad you were wearing your harness, thats exactly why I wear mine!

If it were me I would be contacting Walmart AND Gorilla about this stand and what happened!
Old 10-02-2009, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very glad you are ok Pastorjim, I wear a HSS system too. I defitinitely trust that better than welded metal. Yea Indy opening day was great, very chilly, foggy morning. Good luck with the big guy!
Old 10-02-2009, 04:48 AM
Typical Buck

Wow!! Close call for sure. Glad your OK. How did the vest hold up. Did you actually free fall? Just wondering. I think the instructions on the vests call for a replacement if you do experience a fall.

Good luck with Magnum 8.

Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.