Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
max yardage on a deer >

max yardage on a deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: max yardage
10 yards
0%
20 yards
5.00%
30 yards
28.57%
40 yards
40.71%
50 yards
16.43%
60 yards
6.43%
70 yards
1.43%
80+ is that a deer or a brown spot
1.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

max yardage on a deer

Old 10-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I voted for 30, but I think I might change that to 20.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Max 60 and it would have to be a large deeR. Took a fawn doe Monday at 49 and made a perfect shot and it was comfortable. Wouldn't hAve let an arrow go if it didn't feel perfect. Smartest thing to do is to only shoot in full confidence
Old 10-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

25 yards for me...I have bowhunted 40 years, killed somewhere around 75 with a bow...But, I'm old school, still shoot fingers, aluminum arrows, no peep...I just don't like all the stuff you have to have to be accurate out to 50-60 yards...I wouldn't take the shot anyway...No matter how fast the bow, a deer can take a step and you've hit him in the guts...

I look for reasons not to take the shot, if it's not a perfect scenerio then I just had a good day in the woods...

Bow hunting isn't about how close but about how far...I'm the same way about muzzleloaders, that's why I still use a flintlock...
Old 10-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

I practice a lot at 60 yards to make my actual hunting range of 30 to 40 yd max shot a little more of a sure thing.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

30 yards with the crossbow or the compound. 32 yards being the farthest shot taken. I can shoot pretty well at further yardages but I like to keep in mind it's archery and it's about how close NOT how far.

That being said conditions might someday warrant a longer shot but I can't see past 30 yards at my stand locations. Not much chance of a deer standing in a field infront of me any time soon.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

As this thread shows, the answer is different for everyone. I like to walk back until I toss one off the paper plate. This is using 8 arrows at each spot. This year it is at 56 yds. so 50 and less with perfect conditions and even then I would have to think a few times. My answer does not apply to turkeys and don't ask why because I couldn't answer. I took a 38 yd shot last year in WV at a doe and she turned just as I released. I took some hair from her front shoulder, but she was perfectly fine, no blood, retrieved arrow, and watched her from a distance. What I learned from this mistake was that if you are going to take a distance shot, don't take one when they are on edge. The individual that knows someone that could hit a coffee can at 200 yds. Hmmm How many arrows? I could do it with 4 arrows at 100, but 200, man that is insane. Best story that I have is that a relative was at a family reunion where my father informed him and the others that I was practicing at 100yds and one spoke up and said that it was impossible. Within 10 minutes, a pie plate, 2 of 4 in the plate, he was humbled. Now that was a great feeling, more so that taking a long distant shot at a live target. If you like distance shooting, surround yourself with those that like the same and you will have a lot of fun. Don't necessarily have to take game at those distances.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:28 AM
Spike

I voted for 40, I would say 40-45 under perfect condtions and we all know they rarely happen in the real world. So on most days afield I would say 30.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

LOL i guess i should have keep the shed thing to my self. Guess it brings a new light to the term "shed hunting"
Old 10-03-2009, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
well, i kno a guy who target shoots comp style and he can hit a coffe can at 200 yrds....he never killed anything though he is not a hunter..i have herd of guys bow huntin deer at like 106 yrds or sumthin and they retreived their deer successfully....as for me i can get the giant round haybail at 100 yrds...so i a jus stikin with 40 or less to hunt..i havnt got a chance at 40 yrds yet, and i aint complainin....but i think i will keep practicing and maybe make 50 yrds, then 60 and on up til i can hit a coffee can at 100 yrds, then maybe ill try that. we will see.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Even if you can hit a paper plate to 60 yards how does that translate into a hunting situation? 60 yards with a bow is around .6-.7 of a second for the arrow to reach impact. That gives the deer a HUGE amount of time to move, the wind to carry the arrow off track, etc. Just because you can hit a target at 60 doesnt mean u should shoot at live animals at the same distance. If you dont mind risky shots and a huge reaction time, then by all means shoot out to 50, but dont whine when you've wounded one and you cant find him.

I keep it 35 and under.. Too much reaction time and other variables after that.. These variables are magnified exponentially at longer distances. Wind at 25 wont do much harm, but at 50 you might be chasing that deer for a long time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.